Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MAIN STREET, THE CLUBLB43122

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 71881 20331
Coordinates
171881, 620331

Description

Henry E Clifford of Glasgow, 1898. 2-storey, 3 x 2-bay, Glasgow Style Club of rectangular plan on corner site. 3-bay elevation to Main Street including 2-storey 5-light semi-octagonal corner tower to left. Red sandstone ashlar, stugged in honeycomb pattern, droved at dressings. Chamfered arrises to windows.

TOWER: semi-octagonal plain base, corbelled out at ground floor cill level. Transomed windows to each face, string course over 1st floor lintels, plain harled frieze above, dentilled cornice at eaves.

SE (MAIN STREET) ELEVATION: 2-bay, with ogee-roofed corner tower in bay to left. Tall base course to right hand bay. 3-light, transomed and mullioned windows at centre, and 1st floor right over low entrance door; door in shallow-arched opening in deep-set chamfered surround, keystone at centre, cavetto-moulded cill to small 3-light window above. Stone entrance steps.

SW (LORNE STREET) ELEVATION: 2-bay gable end with corner tower set in to right. Left bay, transomed and mullioned windows, 3-light at 1st floor, 4-light at ground floor with cycle stable door below.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: rendered with ground floor obscured by adjoining building, small windows at 1st floor.

15 and 10-pane timber sash and case windows to tower, 3-pane fixed lights over entrance door, 10-pane timber sash and case elsewhere, with meeting rails obscured by transomes. Grained entrance door, vertically boarded with 12-pane bottle-glazed upper. Vertically-boarded 2-leaf timber doors at service hatch. Grey slate roof, overhanging eaves with exposed rafter ends. Metal ogee roof with finial to tower. Cast-iron gutters and downpipes with hoppers. 2-flue, corniced ashlar wallhead stack to Main Street elevation, adjacent to tower. Cement-rendered and lined multi-flue mutual stack to NE gable, rendered and corniced wallhead multi-flue stack to rear elevation. Corniced skews with cylindrical decoration to SW gable.

Statement of Special Interest

The Campbeltown Courier of June 1896 announced "we understand that Messrs Robert Weir and Son have secured the entire contract for the new building, the plumber work has been sub-contracted to Messrs R Armour & Son". In May 1898, it states "The work in connection with the club is now almost completed, and the members having possession of their new premises at the corner of Main Street and Lorne Street enjoy the greater comforts and facilities afforded by their new commodious quarters. The ground floor accommodation consists of a large L-shaped reading room, a committee room, staircase and lavatory. A cycle stable has also been provided, entering from Lorne Street and having direct communication to the Club. The upper floor is wholly occupied by the billiard room - a spacious apartment with 2 tables - which has an open timber roof and lofty proportions. The building throughout has been designed with breadth and simplicity and is a pleasing addition to our street architecture. The walls are built of red freestone from the famous Lochabriggs quarry in Dumfriesshire, and the roofs are covered with Etterwater green slates. Externally, the principal feature is the corner tower, while internally, a feeling of comfort is obtained by the plentiful use of wood panelling on the lower walls. Altogether, very good effects have been got without elaboration". This building is of high quality construction and individual design by a significant west coast architect, and is a particularly prominent feature in the view down Main Street from Castlehill.

References

Bibliography

Lachlan McKinnon (editor) THE CLUB, CAMPBELTOWN 1887 TO 1987 (1987) David M Walker ARCHITECTS NOTES. Murdo MacDonald, "Campbeltown?s Glasgow Face" THE KINTYRE ANTIQUARIAN & NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY MAGAZINE (No 29) p21 ARGYLLSHIRE HERALD (2.7.1898 (Ill

CAMPBELTOWN COURIER (20.6.1896, 26.2.1896, 23.4.1898, 7.5.1898) Katherine McNeil HENRY EDWARD CLIFFORD ARCHITECT (1995) "Campbeltown Week" Publications CAMPBELTOWN 1700-1950 p63.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET, THE CLUB

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 22:30