Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NR 71905 20345
171905, 620345


James Weir, circa 1900. 3-storey, 3-bay symmetrical hotel in terraced site. Sandstone ashlar, high base course, moulded at top, and eaves course. Bipartite windows at ground flanking architraved entrance door with keystone at centre. Large 5-light canted oriels at 1st floor flanking blank centre bay linked by plain balustrade. Oriels bracketted with string course at base, cill course, and corniced parapet. Slightly advanced tripartite windows above with tall corniced and finialled stone dormerheads, breaking eaves. 3-storey 4-bay wing projecting to rear, cement-rendered, raised margins with projecting cills to windows,

Plate glass timber sash and case windows, 4-pane to rear. 6-panel 2-leaf fielded panel entrance door, glazed inner screen, 2-leaf glazed doors with diagonal brass handles. Cast-iron lettering "Argyll Arms Hotel" at 2nd floor. Profiled gutters at eaves to front and rear. Square section downpipes framing facade with hoppers and brackets to front. Grey slate roof, ashlar stacks with rendered sides and round cans, rendered and shouldered wallhead stacks flanking rear wing, apex stack to end gable, all coped with round cans. Skew copes to gables.

INTERIOR: panelled dado to entrance vestibule.

Statement of Special Interest

This building is the successor to the Argyll Arms Inn (now Wee Toon Lounge Bar) in Cross Street. The Campbeltown Courier of 1896 records "a handsome three storey erection is to take the place of the ruinous structure between the Town Hall buildings and ex-Bailie Muir?s property. The building will be an ornament to Main Street, and when everything is completed the Argyll Hotel will not be far behind the finest hotel in Oban". It goes on to describe large dining and coffee rooms, as well as "a handsome drawing room and writing room, a large hall and several parlours". Its imposing elevation, of good quality construction, is prominently sited next to the Town Hall. Weir?s design and construction has striking similarities to works in the town by Henry E Clifford.




About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET, ARGYLL ARMS HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 22:28