Established 1832, rebuilt 1897. 3-storey and attic, 11-bay distillery malt barn of rectangular plan. Random rubble walls, harled to principal front and sides, with droved ashlar margins and projecting cills.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: ground floor; segmental-arched openings at 1st, 4th and 6th bays. Pend arch at 1st bay with stop-chamfered corners. Entrance door at 2nd bay with concrete steps. Additional windows to left of 9th and 10th bays, and entrance door to left of
11th bay. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors, loading doors
in gabled dormers, breaking eaves to left of 5th and 9th bays only.
W ELEVATION: blank gable elevation with single ground floor window to left of centre.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-storey, with basement visible to right of adjoining modern warehouses, obscuring most of elevation. Flat-arched pend with brick relieving arch in bay to outer right, basement door to left, bipartite window over pend, regular fenestration at 2nd floor, all with stugged red sandstone dressings. Tie-bars with cast-iron cross ends.
4-pane timber sash and case windows, iron bars to principal front ground floor windows to left of 9th bay. Vertically-boarded 2-leaf doors with iron hinges to arched openings at 4th and 6th bays and rear basement door, single-leaf at 2nd bay with 2-pane fanlight over. Vertically-boarded 2-leaf shutters with 4-pane lights above to upper floors, all obscured by external boarding. Grey slate pitched roof to N pitch with overhanging eaves to dormers, profiled metal sheeting to
S pitch. Cast-iron gutters and downpipes.
INTERIOR: timber floors over timber joists supported on cast-iron beams and columns surviving at W end of building.
WAREHOUSES: surviving to E and S of malt barn, large, 3-storey roughly L-plan, random rubble with stugged margins, mostly small windows (bonded storage), piended grey slate roofs.
Statement of Special Interest
The extensive building of distilleries in Campbeltown after 1815 was due to the introduction of new government licensing regulations in 1814-15. Founded in 1832 by Stewart Galbraith & Co, it was originally called Scotia Distillery. When visiting in the late 19th century, Barnard observed "It was built by the present firm in the year 1832, covers a little over two acres of ground, and has been several times enlarged to meet the requirements of increasing business. At first sight it presents a somewhat straggling, old fashioned appearance; nevertheless, the additions have been made as convenient as possible by means of gangways and other approaches, and it is a distillery that can be easily worked".