Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HALL STREET AND OLD QUAY HEAD, CHRISTIAN INSTITUTELB43072

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 72045 20406
Coordinates
172045, 620406

Description

Henry E Clifford, 1885. 2-storey, 3 x 5-bay public hall and offices of rectangular plan. Stugged, squared and snecked sandstone walls to E and N, coursed rubble to W and S, stugged and polished ashlar dressings droved at arrises. High base course to ground floor cill level, cill course at 1st floor and eaves course, except to rear elevation.

NW (ENTRANCE) FRONT: near-symmetrical, with centre bay breaking eaves as entrance tower. Shallow round-arched recess extending to full height of tower, entrance door at ground floor, pedimented over deep frieze bearing script "Christian Institute", flanking narrow windows. Tripartite window to full height of 1st floor, thermal window in arch-head above, with keystone at centre. Plain parapet at tower eaves with corniced terminal dies surmounted by ball finials. Tripartite windows at ground floor and 1st floor (with drip moulds) flanking centre bay. Entrance door inserted at central opening of ground floor bay to left.

NE (HALL STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation comprising 4-bay hall with additional bay to outer right. Bays 1-4, 4 arcaded windows at 1st floor, ground floor, entrance door to left of 1st bay, 2 windows at 2nd bay window at left infilled. Tripartite window across 3rd and 4th bays. Tripartite windows at ground floor and 1st floor (with drip mould) of bay to outer right.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: narrow windows at ground floor with round-arched windows at 1st floor.

Modern timber glazing to all openings. 6-panel, 2-leaf timber principal entrance doors with 4-panel 2-leaf timber door to left. Silver grey slated roofs, terracotta tiles at principal ridge and piended roofs flanking tower. Bell-cast roof with concealed flashings to tower, timber bellcote at apex surmounted by ogee lead roof with wrought-iron fish weathervane. Profiled cast-iron gutters at eaves, cast-iron downpipes with hoppers flanking side elevations. 2-flue, corniced, ashlar wallhead stacks at N bays of side elevations.

INTERIOR: Modernised, with false ceiling inserted at 1st floor.

Statement of Special Interest

The Christian Institute was opened in June 1887 by Lord Kinnaird. The new (1994) windows conform to the pattern of the previous windows, although not all of these were to the original pattern. The wallhead stack on the Hall Street elevation was also reduced in height recently (1994) to a third of its original height. Although this building is not of great architectural merit, it occupies a prominent position in the town, as well as being designed by an architect of local importance.

References

Bibliography

Katherine McNeil HENRY EDWARD CLIFFORD ARCHITECT (1995) CAMPBELTOWN COURIER (2.7.1887) Murdo MacDonald, "Campbeltown?s Glasgow Face" THE KINTYRE ANTIQUARIAN & NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY MAGAZINE (No 29) p21 NMRS Ref: AG/7114 (circa 1900) "Campbeltown Week" Publications CAMPBELTOWN 1700-1950 p63.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HALL STREET AND OLD QUAY HEAD, CHRISTIAN INSTITUTE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 09:22