Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NR 71595 20752
171595, 620752


Built 1873. Former distillery complex comprising L-plan 3-storey principal warehouse with adjacent single storey 3-bay office of square plan to N and single storey warehouse of square plan to E. Random rubble walls with stugged ashlar dressings, white painted office and principal elevations of principal warehouse.

PRINCIPAL WAREHOUSE: L-plan, with N range oriented N-S and S range oriented E-W, meeting at SW corner.

N RANGE, N ELEVATION: 3 bays, blank at 1st floor centre bay, vertically-boarded timber loading door centred at 2nd floor with cast-iron hoist projecting from opening in gablehead above.

E ELEVATION; 10 bays, evenly spaced. Small plate glass window at ground floor to left of 1st bay. Bay at right with infilled arch at ground and 1st floors, brick voussoirs, later windows and doors contained within infill, centre door with 4-pane upper and 2-pane fanlight above. Raised wallhead at 2 bays to right, infilled openings at left bay, large sliding vertically-boarded timber door at left of bay to right with pedestrian door at right. Infilled door at bay to right, loading doors at floors above, 2nd floor door rising into gablet breaking eaves. Modern cantilevered timber and metal canopy in bay to right. 2nd bay to right with 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber entrance door adjacent to left at ground floor. Single leaf vertically-boarded timber doors with iron hinges to each floor at bay to outer right, door at 2nd floor rising into gablet breaking eaves.

W ELEVATION: gable end of S range at outer right; modern opening at ground floor, single window centring gable at upper level. 2 bays at left visible with (infilled) openings corresponding to E elevation. Variety of modern additions and alterations along elevation to left.

S RANGE, N ELEVATION: full-height segmental-arched opening with brick voussoirs at outer right, timber 2-leaf doors with corrugated-iron cladding. Random rubble lean-to at ground floor to left, windows flanking central infilled opening with vertically-boarded timber shutters and iron bars, modern opening at S end.

E ELEVATION: symmetrical, brick infilled window (former door) with iron bars centred at ground floor, timber boarded window at upper level.

S ELEVATION: timber boarded window with iron bars at 1st floor to outer right. Full-height segmental-arched rubble infilled opening at outer left with brick voussoirs; various small brick infilled openings adjacent to right.

2-pane timber windows with and without hoppers surviving to some openings, grey slate roof to S range, corrugated sheeting roof to N range.

INTERIOR: timber floors supported on square timber columns in N range. S range floorless with open timber roof.

OFFICE: single storey 3-bay symmetrical gabled building, harled and painted random rubble walls with droved and painted ashlar dressings. Raised margins and projecting cills at windows. Infilled door centring N elevation with flanking windows. Brick entrance gatepier projecting at right with corresponding rubble pier opposite, both with pyramidal cement caps. Blank gable end elevations and modern addition projecting at rear.

12-pane timber sash and case windows, grey slate roof with cast-iron gutter, skew copes removed, 2-flue harled apex stack with circular cans to W gable.

E WAREHOUSE: random rubble walls with stugged ashlar dressings. Gabled elevations to N and S, square window openings with iron bars, corrugated metal sheet roof.

BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble wall with concrete cope to E and S.

Statement of Special Interest

Founded in 1873 by William Mitchell & Co, Glengyle was visited by Barnard in the late 19th century who observed "it is a neat and compact place, covering upward of two acres of ground, and all the buildings are spacious and clean" Glengyle is now the most complete and best preserved of Campbeltown?s former distilleries.




p75 John R Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1977) p147 CAMPBELTOWN COURIER (27.12.1873, 10.1.1874) Brian Townsend SCOTCH MISSED (1993) p151.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENGYLE ROAD, FORMER GLENGYLE DISTILLERY, INCLUDING WAREHOUSES AND OFFICE BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/02/2019 23:44