Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CASTLEHILL AND ARGYLL STREET, WHITE HART HOTELLB43058

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 71892 20288
Coordinates
171892, 620288

Description

Circa 1900, incorporating earlier fabric. 3-storey and attic hotel of L-plan arrangement, 6-bay elevations to Castlehill and Argyll Street with additional chamfered mutual corner entrance bay comprising entrance door at ground floor with 3-storey semi-octagonal oriel above. Roughcast walls with droved ashlar dressings, all painted. Base course and eaves course, raised margins at windows and door openings.

CORNER TOWER: entrance door with moulded surround at chamfered bay. Semi-octagonal oriel window corbelled out above, giving canted 3-light bay windows at 1st and 2nd floors, bipartite windows at each face of 3rd floor. Cill and lintel courses at each floor and cornice at eaves.

NW (CASTLEHILL) ELEVATION: 7 bays, including chamfered corner bay to outer left. Regular fenestration elsewhere with doorway at 4th bay.

NE (ARGYLL STREET) ELEVATION: 7 bays, grouped 3-4, including chamfered corner bay to outer right. 1st bay; 2-storey 3-light canted oriel at 1st and 2nd floors surmounted by canted and pedimented dormer. Corniced bar frontage to 2nd and 3rd bays comprising door to left with tripartite window adjacent to right. 4th bay parapetted at eaves, 1st floor window of 5th bay off-set to right. 7-flue wallhead stack at 6th bay, single window at ground floor, semi-octagonal dormer intersecting to left, corbelled out at 3rd floor matching corner tower to right.

REAR ELEVATIONS: regularly fenestrated with circular stair tower adjoining SE elevation. Adjoining L-plan range of partly roofless, gabled and harled random rubble buildings.

Timber sash and case windows, 4-pane to most openings, 2-pane lower sashes and 8-pane at 1st and 2nd floor of tower, 4-pane upper sashes at bipartite windows of tower and matching dormer. Grey slate mansard roof, ogee roof with concealed flashings and lead finial to tower and matching dormer, conical at rear stair tower. Pedimented, slated timber dormers with 6-pane upper sashes and 2-pane lower sashes. Flanking sidelights to windows of dormers at NW (Main Street) pitch, with 2-pane upper sashes. Cast-iron downpipes and gutters at eaves, profiled at principal elevations. Roughcast stacks with red sandstone ashlar cornices and red circular cans.

INTERIOR: timber staircase with turned balusters. Good fittings to Ladies WC at 1st floor.

Statement of Special Interest

A photograph of the hotel prior to rebuilding shows a plain 7-bay gabled building. Warrant applications for alterations and additions were made in 1897 and 1907 by Captain H Macneal Younger of Lossit, who also owned the Machrihanish hotel by Sydney Mitchell. The polygonal corner tower with ogee roof (echoed in the neighbouring red sandstone Barochan Place) is redolent of Mitchell?s designs. Bracket marks at 2nd floor, 6th bay, indicate the point where there was formerly a sculpture of a deer. The forcefulness of the main design elements grouped around the corner is somewhat reduced by the absence of the deer sculpture which worked visually in conjunction with the chimney to great effect. This remains, however, an impressive building on this prominent corner site.

References

Bibliography

ORDNANCE PLAN OF CAMPBELTOWN (1868) CAMPBELTOWN COURIER (29.9.1897, 14.4.1906, 30.5.1908) MCGRORY COLLECTION.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CASTLEHILL AND ARGYLL STREET, WHITE HART HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:33