Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

6-34 (EVEN NOS) ARGYLL STREET, BAROCHAN PLACE, INCLUDING WALL, WASH-HOUSES, AND RAILINGSLB43051

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 71917 20274
Coordinates
171917, 620274

Description

Thomas L Watson of Glasgow, 1907. 3-storey and attic 28-bay Glasgow style tenement of L-plan with additional 4-bay elevation facing to SE giving L-plan. Bull-faced squared and snecked sandstone walls with red ashlar dressings and details to NE and SE elevations. Rendered NW and SW elevations with red ashlar lintels and projecting cills. Base course with "shot hole" ventilators, string course at 1st floor, articulated around downpipes and oriels. Cill course at 2nd floor and eaves course.

NE (ARGYLL STREET) ELEVATION: 28-bay elevation grouped 1-4-2-3-2- 3-2-3-2-5-1, symmetrical except for additional bay inserted (23rd bay). Central section of 3 bays (13th to 15th bays) with entrance doors to each bay, narrow windows to centre bay with simply decorated lintels and corniced sills. Doorways all architraved and corniced, centre door with semicircular pediment and flanking narrow windows. Flanking double-bay arrangements (11th, 12th, 16th and 17th bays), 2 windows closely spaced at ground floor to each bay, 2-storey 3-light corbelled and canted oriels at 1st and 2nd floors, 2nd floor centre window framed by engaged columns supporting open pediment over lintel with keystone decoration; gables breaking eaves at each bay, arrowslit in gablehead, niche at apex framed by columns, bracketted and corniced sill, open semicircular pediment above. Flanking 3-bay sections (8th-10th bays and 18th-20th bays) matching centre 3 bays. Flanking double-bay arrangements matching those flanking centre section, except open semicircular pediments at 2nd floor centre windows, and oriels only breaking eaves, with no gables behind. Flanking bays (4th-5th and 23rd-25th bays) similar to centre bays except 4th bay with door to left, architraved with semicircular pediment over, 5th bay with architraved and corniced door at ground floor, narrow window to left. 23rd bay, architraved door with semicircular pediment over at ground floor, narrow windows at floors above, door to right, architraved with semicircular pediment over, narrow window at ground floor of 24th bay with architraved and corniced door to right.

Flanking 2-bay gable ends, 3rd floor (attic) within raised wallheads, gableheads above, apex stacks with decoration matching gables flanking centre section, connected by vertical strip to carved panels below 1st floor string course at N and S ends reading 1907 and BAROCHAN PLACE respectively. 4-storey towers turning corners at end bays to left and right, semi-octagonal form giving 3-light canted bay windows at corners, corbelled out at 1st floor, cornice at eaves.

SE ELEVATION: 4-storey, 4-bay elevation, bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd bays, in all floors, except for architraved and corniced door with slit window to left at ground floor, 2nd bay. Ashlar balcony with solid, corbelled parapet to 3rd floor, large semicircular corniced dormerheads breaking eaves. 3rd bay blank with wallhead stack extending down to corbel decoration at 2nd floor cill course and intersecting with corner tower in bay to right. Blank rendered gable end facing to NW.

NW ELEVATION: single bay to centre with semicircular dormerhead breaking eaves and flanking wallhead stacks matching SE elevation, tower at corner to left.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: regular fenestration grouped as bipartite windows to each floor flanking stair windows, with 2 widely spaced windows between each group. Stair windows at intermediate levels with 2-flue wallhead stacks above.

Timber sash and case windows (some modern) with plate glass lower sashes, 6-pane upper sashes to most windows, 4-pane to narrow windows. 4-pane timber sash and case to rear, some plate glass and modern glazing. 6-panel entrance doors with 3-pane fanlights above, modern door to SE elevation. 2-panel inner entrance doors with 3-pane fanlights above.

Grey slate roofs to main pitch and gables to NE front. Terracotta ridges, lead/zinc ogee roofs to corner towers with tall finials, lead/zinc roofs to curved dormers at SE front. Cast-iron downpipes with hoppers and profiled gutters to NE and SE elevations.

Multi-flue stacks to mutual gables, rendered and coped to rear, bull-faced to front with ashlar dressing, string course and cornice. Red circular cans to all stacks.

WALL: base course of street elevation extended slightly to N as low wall terminated by plain square gatepier, short length of wrought ironwork railing with Art Nouveau influence.

WASH-HOUSES: single storey roughcast with red sandstone ashlar dressings, of rectangular plan. Bipartite window in end elevations, piended roofs with exposed rafter ends at eaves, terracotta tiles, timber ventilators and 4-flue corniced stacks at ridge. Single storey ranges of coal cellars connecting wash-house to rear elevation of tenement. Cellars flat-roofed 6 vertically-boarded timber doors. Lean-to coal cellar at NW end of garden with vertically-boarded timber doors and grey slate monopitch roof.

RAILINGS: wrought-iron railings to gardens at rear with finialled stanchions and integral clothes-line poles.

INTERIOR: panelled inner entrance doors at ground floor with 9-pane glazed uppers and 3-pane fanlights above. Tiled dados to common stair halls, concrete stairs with cast-iron balusters and timber handrails. 6-panel polished timber doors to flats.

Statement of Special Interest

On the 23rd May 1906, Alexander Fleming applied for a warrant to erect a "tenement of dwelling-houses". These tenements are of good quality design and construction and an excellent example of the style of architecture brought to the town by the architects visiting from Glasgow. The wash-houses, drying greens, coal cellars, and many original internal and external details make this building a particularly interesting survivor.

References

Bibliography

DEAN OF GUILD COURT Ref: BC9/88 Murdo MacDonald, "Campbeltown?s Glasgow Face" THE KINTYRE ANTIQUARIAN & NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY MAGAZINE (No 29) p21 CAMPBELTOWN COURIER (14.4.1906, 2.11.1907, 30.5.1908).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6-34 (EVEN NOS) ARGYLL STREET, BAROCHAN PLACE, INCLUDING WALL, WASH-HOUSES, AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:12