Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ARGYLL STREET, ST KIARAN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND GATEPIERSLB43048

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/03/1996
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 71950 20281
Coordinates
171950, 620281

Description

Ronald Walker Stirling, 1891, with gates by Henry Edward Clifford of 1885. 5 x 1-bay gothic hall church of simple rectangular plan with entrance porch and organ recess projecting on SE elevation, and vestry projecting to outer left of NW elevation. Bull-faced, squared and snecked sandstone walls with droved ashlar dressings to street elevation, porch and SE elevation to left of porch. Random rubble walls with stugged and droved dressings elsewhere.

SW (ARGYLL STREET) ELEVATION: symmetrical gable end; cill course, triple lancet with hoodmould over, blind slit window in gablehead with cross at apex above. Single storey 2-bay vestry wing projecting to left with cill and eaves courses, entrance door in bay to right and bipartite window to left.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5 bays; gabled entrance porch projecting in bay to outer left, deeply chamfered reveals to pointed-arched door with hoodmould over. Double lancets at 2nd and 3rd bays. Gabled organ transept projecting at 4th bay, single lancet in bay to right with door to basement below.

Leaded glazing with coloured glass borders to lancets. Timber windows with hoppers to vestry. 2-leaf, vertically-boarded timber entrance doors. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles to hall, porch and transept. Profiled cast-iron gutters and cast-iron downpipes. Ashlar skew copes with block skewputts.

INTERIOR: vertically-boarded timber lining and open timber roof to entrance porch. Hall; timber floor, stepped at NE end. Timber handrail with turned timber balusters at 2nd step, timber handrail with decorative wrought-iron handrail at 3rd step. Vertically-boarded timber wainscoting with moulded dado rail. 3-bay oak altar centring NE wall comprising engaged columns dividing panels with gothic decoration. Canopied reredos above, panelled base, buttressed frame above supporting curved projecting canopy surmounted by triangular pediment with cross at apex. Stencilling to NE wall flanking reredos. Organ in transeptal recess to right, stencilled pipes supported on stop-chamfered decorated timber frame with finials. Open timber roof with curved trusses and kingpost supported on red sandstone ashlar corbels. Octagonal ashlar font of 1893 at SW end; octagonal base on square concrete base, column at centre, 4 flanking columns with floreate capitals and carved timber cover.

BOUNDARY WALL: stugged squared and snecked dwarf wall to Argyll Street with ashlar cope (railings removed). Stugged and droved gatepiers with battered bases and quatrefoils on gabled caps. Decorative wrought-iron 2-leaf gates.

Statement of Special Interest

The Episcopal congregation was formed in Campbeltown in 1848 and initially worshipped in the Town Hall. In 1849, they considered and turned down schemes proposed by Butterfield, a Mr Nisbet of Gloucester, and James Wylson of Glasgow, and subsequently bought the United Session Church in Argyll Street in 1850. Stirling is first mentioned in the Minutes of the Trustees in 1890, the mason being a Martin Wallace. The present building is a modification by Stirling of a much more ambitious scheme by Clifford who had designed the rectory and gates in 1885. The pulpit and communion rails were designed in 1891 by Canon Charles T Wakeham who had also designed the Episcopal church in Islay. B group with the neighbouring rectory.

References

Bibliography

A GUIDE TO THE CHURCH OF ST KIARAN - CAMPBELTOWN (1980) STIRLING OBSERVER (11 July 1911) Murdo MacDonald, "Campbeltown's Glasgow Face" THE KINTYRE ANTIQUARIAN & NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY MAGAZINE (No 29) p21 CAMPBELTOWN COURIER (5.9.1885, 4.4.1891, 22.8.1891, 23.12.1893) EPISCOPAL CHURCH YEAR BOOK (1885) MINUTES OF THE TRUSTEES Norman S Newton CAMPBELTOWN'S CHURCHES (1991) p14 John R H Cormack "The Churches of Campbeltown since the Reformation" THE KINTYRE ANTIQUARIAN & NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY MAGAZINE (No 23) p4.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARGYLL STREET, ST KIARAN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 02:10