Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NR 71967 20260
171967, 620260


Henry Edward Clifford, 1885. 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetrical Tudor gothic rectory. Stugged squared and snecked ashlar walls with polished ashlar dressings. Stugged rubble NW elevation, roughcast SE elevation. Battered base course, cill course at 1st floor, eaves cornice. Chamfered arrises and sloping cills to windows.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, pointed-arched entrance door at centre with low buttresses flanking, and hoodmould over. Double lancet with cusped arch-heads at floor above. Gable breaking eaves in bay to left, 2-storey 4-light canted window, mullioned and transomed windows with corniced and battered parapet above. Mullioned and transomed tripartite window in gablehead. Mullioned and transomed tripartite windows at ground and 1st floors of bay to right, with latter breaking eaves.

NW ELEVATION: blank gable end with circlet in gablehead, irregularly fenestrated rear wing projecting to left.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: large modern extension projecting at ground.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows to all openings. 2-leaf vertically-boarded grained timber entrance door, panelled inner door with glazed upper and stained glass fanlight above. Grey green slate roof with terracotta ridges, piended over S dormer. Cavetto profiled cast-iron gutters, downpipes with decorative brackets and hoppers. Battered apex stacks at principal gables, ashlar at NW gable, cement rendered at SE gable, both with red battered and banded circular cans. Battered wallhead stack at rear wing, coped with circular can. Ashlar skew copes, removed at SE gable.

INTERIOR: most internal fittings surviving at ground floor including 4-panel doors and shutters, plaster cornices, and decorative timber fireplaces carved by Canon Wakeham. Timber staircase with pyramidal newels, vertically-boarded infill below. Double lancet stair window with stained glass.

BOUNDARY WALL: stugged squared and snecked dwarf wall with ashlar cope, railings removed. Polished ashlar gatepiers with battered bases and octagonal pyramidal caps. Decorative wrought-iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by James Weir, Clifford?s design echoes work by Burgess in the park area of Cardiff. Although his scheme for the neighbouring church was not executed, the dwarf wall to Argyll Street with its iron gates are of his design and harmonise the two buildings into a striking group on this side of Argyll Street. The timber chimneypieces were carved by the first occupant, Canon Charles T Wakeham. Some of the carved detail on the stair was damaged when the rectory was used as a hostel during the war, and is now concealed behind boarding. B group with neighbouring church.



CAMPBELTOWN COURIER (25.7.1885, 5.9.1885) Murdo MacDonald, "Campbeltown?s Glasgow Face" THE KINTYRE ANTIQUARIAN & NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY MAGAZINE (No 29) p21 Katherine McNeil HENRY EDWARD CLIFFORD ARCHITECT (1995) EPISCOPAL CHURCH YEARBOOK (1885) "Campbeltown Week" Publications CAMPBELTOWN 1700-1950 p38.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARGYLL STREET, EPISCOPAL CHURCH RECTORY, WITH BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:16