There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 02/04/1996
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 53886 68892
- Coordinates: 253886, 668892
Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, 1938, erected 1954-8, with later additions. Extensive 2-, 3- and 4-storey flat-roofed school, brown brick, with dominant grid-pattern fenestration forming majority of wall surface. Base course of contrasting brick to sections. Narrow strip pilasters articulating fenestration of predominantly flush elevations.
PRINICPAL BLOCK: 4-storey, single pile, running E-W, forming N side of entrance playground/car park, terminating to outer left with 2-storey dining hall and assembly theatre. S elevation 27-bay with grid fenestration, 2 doors in equal-sized bays to left of centre (11th and 12th from left), glazed, 2-leaf doors. Outer right abutted by 3-storey E range running N-S with corner stair tower linking wings, predominantly brick. Rear (N) elevation adjoined to right of centre by 3-storey L-plan N range, similarly detailed.
E RANGE: 3-storey with lower bays to N. 23 bays to W elevation with grid fenestration to each bay except blank wallplane of stair to outer right. E elevation 15-bay with 2 horizontal window bands to stair bay at outer left and grid pattern fenestration to remaining bays, several glazed squares with raised cills and brick aprons. Section to N comprised of 2 lower blank bays flanking 4 still lower, 2-storey bays with door to right, clerestorey windows to ground floor and arcaded balcony above.
DINING HALL BLOCK: 2-storey L-plan block, clasping 3-storey principal range. 13-bay W elevation (Knightswood Road) with 2 bays to outer left blank, adorned by school name in applied letters, 3 bays to left of centre with regular fenestration and 7 bays to right with larger glazed openings to grid pattern, blank bay to outer right. 4 bays to E elevation with larger fenestration, 2-leaf glazed doors in bay to left, blank at 1st floor above. Blank S elevation. Rooftop caphouse.
N RANGE: 3-storey, L-plan, detailed with grid pattern fenestration, infilled to W with single and 2 storey later additions (Primary School?).
Regular glazing pattern each opening with large fixed panes, pivot pane at centre and narrow strip above with hopper pane. Reconstituted stone coping to flat roof. Internal guttering system.
INTERIOR: good period interiors, including dance studios with herringbone parquet and sprung floors. Supporting beams evident for ceilings throughout. Classrooms with generous natural light, from large windows and borrowed from corridors by internal glazed screens above dado height. Fitted gymnasium. Theatre with stage and coombed coffering to ceiling. Servery to dining hall with boarded screen.
RAILINGS: simple iron railing enclosing school boundaries.
BICYCLE SHED: brick shelter to N of site with lean-to roof and iron support columns.
Statement of Special Interest
A foundation panel in the main entrance vestibule celebrates the opening of the school on 10th October 1958 by John Maclay, then Secretary of State for Scotland: it was the first school designed by the Gillespie, Kidd and Coia practice. The striking compenent of the design is the provision of fenestration, in keeping with contemporary views on good school design and achieved not least by the long, linear form of the principal blocks. The flush form of the windows further emphasises the impact of this, and together with the block form of the various ranges, sets Knightswood Secondary apart in terms of school design, following Scandinavian precedents. The N range is linked by a later enclosed corridor on pilotis to the later gymnasium at NE of the site. A part sunken athletics track flanks the school to E.
R W K C Rogerson JACK COIA (1986), pp51-3. Williamson, Riches and Higgs GLASGOW (1990), p399.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.