John Burnet Senior, 1871-72. L-plan Gothic church with entrance tower. Squared and snecked rubble with harl pointing, later cement pointing, ashlar margins and dressings. Battered base course, eaves cornice; sturdy buttresses with sawtooth coped offsets. Hoodmoulds, labelstops; reticulated traceried windows; ogee-arched windows
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad gable with sturdy diagonal buttresses;
3 small 2-light ogee-arched windows at ground; large pointed-arched window above, hoodmould with angel-head labelstops; disc finial at apex. TOWER: 3-stage entrance tower with belfry, recessed in re-entrant angle to left. String courses dividing stages. Deeply moulded pointed-arch door at ground, hoodmould, mask labelstops (badly weathered), boarded door with decorative cast iron hinges; 3 narrow lancets above. Trefoil-headed lancet on left return. 3 narrow stepped stair windows above. Clock at 2nd stage; paired round-arched, trefoil- headed, louvered openings at belfry stage, hoodmoulds springing from sculpted beast at centre, terminating in mask labelstops. Stone pyramidal crocketted spire carried on stylised corbel course; small trefoil-headed lucarnes; Celtic cross finial.
SW ELEVATION: 5-bay nave divided by buttresses at left; tower in penultimate bay to right (see above). Gable breaking eaves at outer left bay, large plate-traceried rose window (added 1878), hoodmould with angel-head labelstops; 2 small ogee lancets below. Diminutive bust in disc finial (possibly donor James Burns of Kilmahew). 2 bays flanking with pair of 2-light lancets; tower in penultimate bay to right, narrow outer right bay with small 2-light window.
NE ELEVATION: nave with rectangular-plan gabled vestry aligned NW-SE at outer right. VESTRY: gabled battered porch, pointed arch door, 2-leaf panelled wooden door; flanking narrow trefoil-headed lancet leaded windows; small cusped wheel window above, narrow light in gablehead. Paired lancets on right return. Nave articulated with paired trefoil- headed lancets on right return.
NW ELEVATION: broad gable with stepped 5-light window, gablehead stack with serrated head. Lean-to boiler house and half-piend-roofed block to outer right.
INTERIOR: renovated in 1899; hall church with later balcony at SW; pine pews; modern altar table and pulpit; tripartite altarpiece with embroidery panels by Hannah Frew Paterson installed 1981. Oak hammerbeam roof supported on slender colonnettes, angel capitals. Later 19th century marble memorials to James Burns, McDougall. Silk Hangings by Sarah Sumsion. Plate glass etched nave windows at NE by John Lawrie in memory of Elizabeth C Hendry of Geilston House. Stained glass windows by Sadie McLellan, installed 1970. The stained glass windows are by W & J Keir Glasgow. In 1878 the medallion W window was inserted. The organ was installed in 1898. The church bells are by Wilson of Glasgow, dated 1871.
Stained and leaded windows. Grey slate roof with lead flashings; small ridge ventilators. Ashlar coping to skews, disc finials.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: broad gate and pedestrian gate. Sturdy, square-plan pier with battered base course; chamfered to octagonal pier, conical cap. Coped square pier to right, battered base, inset patera panel; identical pier to right of pedestrian gate. Decorative cast-iron gates. Rubble wall with harl pointing; ashlar saddleback coping.