The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.
Address/Name of Site
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority
- Scottish Borders
- NT 82522 52981
- 382522, 652981
Circa 1795. Single segmental-arched, symmetrically humped bridge with SW and NE elevations and long ramped approaches. Sandstone rubble with broadly droved dressings to voussoir, arch ring, coping of parapet and terminal dies; rock-faced ashlar below impost bands of arch. Mutuled cornice, rising to point to centre and coped parapet. Walls to E and N terminated by drum piers/dies; quadrant walls to S and W; wing walls step inwards towards centre; walls buttressed (all soon after date of construction, except in 1945 SE buttress added). Plaque to SW elevation, road-side of parapet, noting date of restoration, in 1992, by Borders Regional Council.
Statement of Special Interest
There was a ford recorded in 1771 at this point of Blackadder Water. There was a major flood of the river during the 18th century. The bridge was first mentioned in 1797. There has been the supposition that the bridge was built by the farmer-architect, Alexander Stevens (c1730-96) who according to his Gentleman's Magazine obituarist, "in the course of the last 40 years, erected more stone bridges, and other buildings in water, than any other man in these kingdoms... The North of England and Scotland exhibit numberless works of his execution". There is an undated design for a bridge in the RIBA collection of drawings for the Blackadder estate. It is not known whether this was for this particular bridge, or for one actually in the vicinity of Blackadder House, which lies a couple of miles downstream. The bridge is a good example of a large single arch bridge of the later 18th century. It has a 70ft span, which is quite unusually large, although not the largest, in Scotland for this date.
No Bibliography entries for this designation
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.