Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NS 25782 83415
225782, 683415


Edwin Lutyens, 1896-7. 2-storey, (over raised basement to E); rectangular-plan Arts and Crafts villa, originally wing to earlier 19th century hotel (partially demolished, W block forming Ferry Inn Cottage extant, see separate listing). Whinstone rubble with harl-pointing, white-painted harl at principal floor; ashlar margins and dressings; chamfered reveals; masonry mullions at basement and ground floor, multi-paned, metal-framed windows directly under eaves at upper floor; canted oriels. Upper floor slightly jettied on principal elevation; deep-set segmental windows to basement. Projecting eaves.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad, 2-bay, gabled, bell-cast roofed entrance porch advanced to left, low base course; round-arched entrance, alternate voussoirs emphasised; open segmental arch on right return; small bipartite window to left; small canted oriel in gablehead. Former door blocked as bipartite window at ground to outer left of porch, window at 1st floor. 3-bay block to right of porch over deep battered basement. Massive whinstone and sandstone chimney stack rising from basement, breaking eaves to form 3 very tall, sandstone coped, diamond-set stacks; flanking continuous run of ashlar windows at principal floor. 6-light flush window strip to left at upper floor; oriel, bipartite and corner oriel to right of stack; 2 windows at basement.

E ELEVATION: 5 regular bays with oriels to harled upper floor over 2-storey whinstone basement; 2 windows at centre to basement; battered out-shot to outer right (ashlar saddleback coping) forming balcony to round-headed wooden, hinged and studded door, 5-light window. 5-light window to outer left; bipartite metal-framed window to left of centre.

N ELEVATION: 2-storey, 4-bay, harled block to right looking N into walled garden; 3-bay block slightly recessed to left over double basement. 4 segmental-headed windows at ground to right, grouped 1-3, sandstone and whinstone margins; bipartite window at 1st floor outer right; jettied 3-bay, bell-cast roofed, block at 1st floor to left, closely-spaced bipartite windows corbelled out at cill. 3 regular bays to upper floor left, corner oriel, 2 closely spaced oriels at centre; lower piend-roofed glazed conservatory on rubble battered outshot to left in re-entrant angle; 5-light window, window at lower basement level.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay; flanking advanced, bell-cast roofed jambs, garage door in jamb to left, door with flanking bipartite windows; recessed metal-framed 5-light window at ground (plate glass), 1st floor (multi-paned).

Plate glass and multi-paned windows; graded grey/green slate to bell-cast and piended slate roof, lead flshings; tripartite wallhead stack on S elevation; broad, corniced sandstone ridge stack on N ridge.

INTERIOR: most of original interior lost, 2 back-to-back deeply-set, round-headed fireplaces with chamfered mouldings survive. Circa 1950s pine and beech panelling throughout; glass fire divisions along corridors; pine doors.

Statement of Special Interest

The house is one of the few Lutyens designed buildings in Scotland and is a good example of the architect's style at this period.

Princess Louisa, daughter of Queen Victoria and wife of the Marquis of Lorne,later 9th Duke of Argyll, commissioned additions to the Ferry Inn, which had been in existence from the earlier 19th Century. It is likely that Princess Louisa was introduced to the architect by Gertrude Jekyll, who collaborated with Lutyens on a number of designs. The design requirements comprised the addition of a wing containing reception rooms and bar with bedrooms above. The drawings in the RIBA vary from the executed designs and the inn as built shows more Scots Baronial deatailing than Lutyens original design. The inn was used as a convalescent home for soldiers recovering from the Boer War. The interior was gutted when used by the American Navy. The present owner, a boat dsigner, refitted the interior with pine and beech panellings. Ferry Inn Cottage, originally the rear half of Lutyens extension, is listed separately.



NMRS RIBA Drawings Collection elevation and perspective sketch, 1896. Lutyens Exhibitions Catalogue Nov-Jan 1982, p81 (text and drawing).


F A Walker & F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) p106. Brian D Osborne HELENSBURGH AND GARELOCHSIDE IN OLD PICTURES p61. Christopher Hussey THE LIFE OF SIR EDWIN LUTYENS (1950) p72-73. H Muthesius THE ENGLISH HOUSE (reprint 1987) p57.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSNEATH POINT, FERRY INN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/04/2024 05:43