Alexander Nasymth, 1803. Large, symmetrical castellated Gothick steading; plan forming 3 sides of octagon with centre tower. Ashlar, sandstone and whinstone rubble with harl (some cement render). Pointed windows, bracketted cills; hoodmoulds; castellated parapet.
N (MAIN) ELEVATION: symmetrical range of tower, link blocks, octagonal pavilions with angled jambs terminating in bastions. Tall, 3-bay, 4-stage, ashlar, square-plan tower at centre; stepped blind arcade of
3 pointed arches containing pointed-arch door, hoist door, window in centre arch; narrow doors with blank upper stages in flanking arches. 3 blind windows at upper stage, that at centre larger with inset square window. Blind windows to left and right returns. Pierced trefoil ashlar balustrade on roll-moulded corbelling, coped corbelled bartizans, blind arrowslit. Flanking lower 2-storey, 3-bay rubble and harled link blocks (block to right with corrugated iron additions) connecting to 2-stage, octagonal-plan pavilions, bays articulated in pointed arch recesses, pointed windows. Flanking angled jambs, 2-storey, 3-bay block (that to NW with lean-to corrugated block) connecting to 2-storey, terminal drums flanked by tall, circular, 4-stage towers (some windows blocked, also large garage door inserted in W drum); deep castellated parapet on moulded corbels.
S ELEVATION: tower at centre with rubble base, ashlar upper stages; stepped blind arcade of 3 pointed arches, window set into centre arch; blind windows above; lean-to corrugated iron buildings at rear.
Blinded windows, some glazing remaining in circular tower Y-tracery sash and case; octagonal block with 6-pane upper sash, blocked lower window. Green corrugated-iron roof.
INTERIOR: much alteration internally with access difficult in parts; floors removed in drum bastion, stone stairs in circular towers.
OUTBUILDINGS: various lean-to, cast-iron buildings. Long semicircular, corrugated-iron pigsty immediately beside NE jamb.