John Kinross, circa 1890. Ashlar terrace walls (Myreton Quarry, Arbroath) articulated on lowest level with banded pilasters and supporting balustrade with panelled dies, S terrace tiered and broken at centre of lowest tier with ram?s horn stair, terminated to E by tall, corniced and banded pier bearing carved heraldic panel; Griffin Gate and 4 urn finialled dies delimiting E end of an upper tier.
RAM?S HORN STAIR: depressed arch recess below central platt; panelled dies and balustrade.
URNS: row of 4 large stone urns, carved with swags and with ball finials, on panelled and corniced ashlar dies, in line with S elevation of house and running E.
GRIFFIN GATE: in line with row of urns, leading to sunken terraces (see separate listing). Pair of tall, panelled ashlar gatepiers, corniced with flute and paterae frieze and crowned with large, lead statues of griffins bearing shields. Curved screen wall to either side. Decorative wrought-iron gate with overthrow and part gilding, ?M? shield to overthrow.
MERCURY: bronze statue of mercury on corniced die at centre of E terrace.
PONDS, STATUARY, GATE: 2 circular, ashlar basins between parterres on broad tier to S, adorned iwth lion masques. Bronze statues of cherub and thinker on pedestal dies flanking. Timber gateway with panelled jambs and swagged, shaped overthrow flanked by metal urn finials and with timber gate.
EAST TERRACE DRIVE WALLS: corniced ashlar walls to N of E terrace in line with principal elevation of house and shielding drive, with balustraded sections divided by dies, panelled sections carved with paterae and swagging, and terminal pier with blank panel, carved frieze and dentilled cornice. Gateway at centre with shallow, ashlar urn finials surmounting dies, and with ornate wrought-iron, 2-leaf gates, part gilded.
Statement of Special Interest
See also the listings for the sunken east terraces, the Formal Gardens, East Dam, Chinese Bridge, Seat in Woodland Garden and Swiss Chalet. A drawing showing an earlier scheme for the principal S terrace, dated 1890, lies in the Manderston archive, and shows the wall closed with ogee-roofed pavilions, but also with the horse-shoe steps. These terraces are in an A Group with the mansion, the Sunken Terraces and the Formal Gardens. Lord Duveen supplied the 4 urns.