John Kinross, dated 1897. 2-storey, L-plan, Scottish Renaissance cottage after Argyll?s Lodging, Stirling, and Heriot?s Hosptial, Edinburgh, with 1st floor breaking eaves and round stair tower set in external angle. Harled with ashlar coping to base course, ashlar dressings, quasi-buckle quoins, roll-moulded eaves course, chamfered arrises.
S ELEVATION: 2-bay S wing. Substantial, open-sided classical, ashlar porch (Argyll?s Lodging) to left; architraved surrounds to openings, flanked by fluted pilasters on pedestals; crescent moons above S pilasters, fleuron to sides, with carved feathers to frieze and cornice above; pediment with strapwork cartouche and datestone (1897), ball finials flanking and apex crescent; lead roof; boarded door with wrought-iron, Kinrossian handle. Bay to right with large window at ground and smaller 1st floor window, pilaster-flanked, with cornice and ornately carved, strapwork dormerhead (after those at Heriot?s Hospital). Return gable to left with narrow leaded window at ground.
TOWER: squat, round tower set in re-entrant angle formed between gables of S and W ranges (see Old Union, St Andrews), with narrow windows to upper stages adorned with carved, low-relief strapwork surrounds. Conical roof with leaded apex.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay W wing. Window at ground to right, left abutted by single storey outbuildings (see below). 2 1st floor windows detailed as that to S wing.
N ELEVATION: gable end of W wing, abutted by lower 2-storey cottages of earlier, residential court.
E ELEVATION: rear of W wing recessed to right, abutted at ground by lean-to implement sheds of farm court; with window above, close under eaves, in re-entrant angle formed with S wing, strapwork carved surround (as tower windows). Blind gable end of S wing to left with carved, ashlar armorial panel (Miller) in gablehead in high-relief egg-and-dart and fluted surround, and low-relief strapworked setting; Miller motto, ?Omne Bonum Superne? in panel. Garden wall abutting to outer left.
Multi-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Ashlar coped skews with angled skewputts. Ashlar gablehead stacks with billeted cornices and battered ashlar coping. Ashlar ridges. Decorative lead rainwater hoppers, downpipes and fixtures.
INTERIOR: fine, en suite, period decorative scheme. Ashlar, roll-moulded door surrounds, 1 with ogeed-lintel and in-set door with heraldic shield and initials ?JPM?, ?EMC? carved above, 1 with deep overdoor stone carved with ?Omne Bonum Superne?, flanked by rose and thistle. Segmental-pedimented, timber chimneypieces with high-relief carved stone panels of flower-filled vases above at centre; decorative cast-iron slips.
OUTBUILDINGS: earlier 19th century, single storey range running E-W. Harled rubble with ashlar dressings to later openings, timber jambs and lintels to original. Graded grey slates. 3 doors to S (garden) elevation each flanked by square window to right with latticed timber grilles, and further window to outer right. N elevation to earlier court with stone buttresses, door and window (6-pane sash and case) to outer left bay and doors to penultimate left and right. Short section of screen wall to W surmounted by shallow-bowled urn finial. Brick wallhead stack to piend-roofed W end.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEWAYS: squared and snecked rubble garden walls with gablet ashlar coping and intermittent fleuron finials to E wall and quasi-buckle quoins to angles. E gateway architraved on garden side with cornice, carved capital detail and low-relief strapwork pediment; outer side with architraved opening swept into ogee above lintel. S gateway with strapwork carved frieze and cornice to garden side, strapworked cartouce over outer lintel with fleuron finial and fleurons flanking; fine wrought-iron gate with margin of climbing roses and panel with gilded Miller family motto. Terminal pier by hedge, gablet capped ashlar, with armorial panel in fluted surround and rose finial.