Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

19 - 27 (ODD) BANK ROW (WICK HERITAGE CENTRE)LB42286

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
14/09/1983
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Wick
NGR
ND 36525 50671
Coordinates
336525, 950671

Description

Earlier 19th century. Row of 3 terraced houses. 2-storey, 3-bay, broad, symmetrical, rectangular-plan house to left, harled Caithness slab-stone coursers. Symmetrical pair of 2-storey with attic, 3-bay houses to right, rectangular-plan. Snecked and coursed Caithness stone slabs.

NOS 19 AND 21: N (BANK ROW) ELEVATION: panelled door to centre; predominantly regular fenestration. Lugged projecting margins to openings. Plate glass shop front to left bay, additional window to right of door. S (REAR) ELEVATION: single-storey, gabled wings to left and right, flanking central flagstone courtyard. Irregular fenestration.

NO 23: N (BANK ROW) ELEVATION: panelled door to centre, letterbox fanlight. Regular fenestration except segmental-arch pend to left bay. Canted dormer to left. S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-storey, 4-bay gabled curing house to rear.

NO 27: N (BANK ROW) ELEVATION: door to centre, letterbox fanlight. Regular fenestration. Canted dormers. S (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration. Flagstone curing yard.

INTERIORS: conversion to partially open-plan Heritage Centre.

12-pane sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped gable end stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The A Group for Lower Pulteneytown comprises; 18 Bank Row, The Black Stairs, The Round House, Harbour Place, Steven and Co storehouse, Harbour Quay, 6,7 Rose St, Old Fish Market, South Quay, storehouse, Telford Street, 2 Williamson Street.

The Group listing is in recognition of the exceptional group value of these buildings as the core of Thomas Telford's 1809 scheme for the new town plan of Pulteneytown for the British Fisheries Society. For further information see separate listing for the Round House, Harbour Place.

The Wick Heritage Centre is listed Category A as the last surviving example of a traditional herring curing house in what was, from 1820 to 1914, the busiest herring port in Britain and northern Europe. The Heritage Centre has been arranged around the central, open curing yard leading off to the various parts off the complex within the three houses seen from the street. Interiors of particular interest include the herring drying and smoking racks and the cooperage. Modern wooden galleries and stairs link the various interiors. For further information see separate listing for the Round House, Harbour Place.

References

Bibliography

SRO/RHP 11796, plan and elevation. E Beaton, CAITHNESS: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (Rutland Press, Edinburgh), 1996, pp 36-44; D Maudlin, HIGHLAND PLANNED VILLAGES: TELFORD'S WORK FOR THE BRITISH FISHERIES SOCIETY, The New Town Phenomenon, ed J Frew (St Andrews University Press) 2001; RJ Naismith, BUILDINGS OF THE SCOTTISH COUNTRYSIDE, (Victor Gollancz, London), 1985, p 28.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 19 - 27 (ODD) BANK ROW (WICK HERITAGE CENTRE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/11/2021 12:29