Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NN 53500 20607
253500, 720607


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

1779-80, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Long bridge of 3 segmental arches with triangular cutwaters to both elevations and 3 smaller flood arches diminishing in size to N. Waist-height parapet with flat copes. This is an unaltered and unusually long 18th century bridge of considerable architectural and historic interest. It is a notable local landmark.

Materials: random rubble with roughly dressed voussoirs and copes.

Statement of Special Interest

This is an important river-crossing, linking the upland areas of the parish around Glen Buckie to the Kirkton of Balquhidder. It also linked Balquhidder to the drove road that went to Glasgow via Glen Buckie and Brig O' Turk. The bridge previous to this one, which was built 1705-6 and cost just over 436 pounds, is described by James Stewart: it had masonry piers and a timber superstructure. By the 1740s it was in a state of disrepair and was replaced with the present bridge in 1780. The bridge was paid for by the Commissioners of Annexed Estates, and several papers relating to its construction are held at the National Archives (see References). The tenants of Balquhidder petitioned the Commissioners for a bridge in February 1779, and by March that year plans had been drawn up (signed by Patrick McInnes, who was presumably employed by the commissioners) and an estimate prepared. By July 1780 building was well under way. The cost of the bridge came to about 215 pounds. The bridge at Strathyre was built at the same time and is similar in design but has only 2 arches.



Documents in National Archives: Petition for bridge dated Feb 1779, initial plan and estimate (ref E777/215/17); revised plan (ref E777/88/4). Shown on James Stobie, 'Map of the Counties of Perth and Clackmannan' (1783). Old Statistical Account (1793), p96. James Stewart, 'The Settlements of Western Perthshire' (1990), p89 (for information on the earlier bridge; there is also a good photograph of this bridge on plate 19).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STRONVAR BRIDGE OVER RIVER BALVAG

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 02:03