Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

St Duthus Collegiate Church, boundary wall, excluding scheduled monument SM2803, Castle Brae, TainLB41843

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/03/1971
Last Date Amended
28/08/2018
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Burgh
Tain
NGR
NH 78015 82187
Coordinates
278015, 882187

Description

St Duthus Collegiate Church dates to the 14th century. It was re-roofed in around 1752 and later restored by Robert Matheson between 1849 and 1882 with further work carried out by Hippolyte J. Blanc in 1896.

The church is a rectangular 4 bay buttressed building with a stepped base course. The entrance is on the southwest with shafted reveals under pointed hoodmoulds with sculpted head label stops.

The church has a tall Y-tracery west window with flanking cupsed niches set high in the gable wall, the most northern panel has a figure of a bishop. There are lancets in the north walls under pointed hoodmoulds. The tall east window has renewed geometric tracery. There are three large windows in south wall, two with Y-tracery and that to the south-east with geometric tracery.

Inside the church is an elaborate oak pulpit with tester which is a late 19th century restoration, which includes fragments of the former 16th century pulpit. There is a triple sedilia in the south-east under a cusp recess. There is a cusped stoup near the centre of the south wall and a long round headed aumbry in the south corner of the east wall. The interior includes numerous memorials, including a marble classical monument to Arabella Margaret Rose, by Williams, Sculptor, of New Road, London. A tomb niche in the north wall contains an early recumbent figure. The stained glass is by James Ballatine and Sons, Edinburgh, 1880 and 1882.

There is a rubble retaining wall around the graveyard, with late 19th century spearhead railings to Castle Brae.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM2803 (see separate designation record).

Statement of Special Interest

A well-preserved late medieval collegiate church with 18th and 19th century restorations. This church was in part built to provide a suitably splendid setting for the shrine of St Duthus and its architectural splendour reflects the significance of the devotion to this saint. The church was the focus of pilgrimage during the late medieval period and receive considerable royal patronage during the 15th century.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM2803 (see separate designation record).

Statutory Address revised in 2018. Previously listed as 'CASTLE BRAE ST DUTHUS COLLEGIATE CHURCH WITH ST DUTHUS CHURCH, GRAVEYARD AND RETAINING WALL.

References

Bibliography

Fawcett, R. (2011) The Architecture of the Scottish Medieval Church 1100-1560. London.

Inverness Courier. (1860) Proposed restoration of St Duthus Church at Tain , Inverness Courier, 1 March 1860.

MacGibbon and Ross, D and T. (1896-7) The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century , 3v. Edinburgh. Page(s): 538-42 Vol. 2

RCAHMS. (1979a) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 6. Edinburgh. Page(s): 28 No. 240

OSA. (1791-9). The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, in Sinclair, J (Sir. Edinburgh. Page(s): vol. 3, p. 394.

Further information by courtesy - The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to St Duthus Collegiate Church, boundary wall, excluding scheduled monument SM2803, Castle Brae, Tain

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/11/2018 03:23