Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BACK ROAD, QUILDON COTTAGE INCLUDING FORMER KILNLB41804

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/12/1971
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Burgh
Stromness
NGR
HY 25085 8869
Coordinates
325085, 1008869

Description

Early 19th century with later alterations and additions. Single storey with attic 5-bay L-plan asymmetrical cottage former barn with conical grain-drying kiln at N end, abutting Quildon House at S end. Harl-pointed roughly course rubble; random rubble kiln.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: part-glazed modern boarded door at ground in bay to centre. Window set low in bay to left. Small window at ground in bay to outer right; flat-roofed window breaking eaves above. 8-step stone flight behind rubble wall to modern boarded door set high in bay to right of centre. Small window set high in bay to outer right. Kiln to NE angle.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay with kiln to outer left. Window in each bay.

Replacement 4- and 8-pane timber sash and case windows. Caithness slate; purple Welsh slate to dormer; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.

Statement of Special Interest

Probably the remaining part of a long house, only the barn and the kiln survivng and since converted. The connecting house has probaby been re-built or raised to form something much more polite, (see separtate list description). The following ancecdote, found in the Dean of Guild records in Kirkwall, may relate either to Quildon Cottage or to Quildon House. A paper read by George Marwick in Stromness Town Hall concerning the activities of a local doctor, Dr Tallion, who died at Quildon. He was credited with curing a 'peculiar disease' suffered by a man in Stromness in 1780-90 who had felt something in his stomach. Dr Tallion told the man to lie by the burn at Cairston so that the 'paddow' (frog) which the doctor believed to be upsetting the man's stomach, could crawl out and quench its thirst. No reference is made as to the success of the procedure.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1st edition OS map (1882); DEAN OF GUILD, KIRKWALL, D31/4/1/viii (1894); L Burgher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991), p40.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BACK ROAD, QUILDON COTTAGE INCLUDING FORMER KILN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 17:38