Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LOCHEARNHEAD, AUCHRAW TERRACE, WESTER AUCHRAW CROFTLB4172

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/06/1989
Supplementary Information Updated
19/01/2016
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Comrie
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 59274 23914
Coordinates
259274, 723914

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Probably late 18th century with later additions and alterations (see Notes). Single-storey, 3-bay, cruck-framed cottage with corrugated iron roof and lower ranges adjoining each gable. Although a once common form of vernacular construction, very few cruck-framed cottages survive in anything approaching their original condition, and this is an unusually good example that is relatively unaltered.

The main part of the house has a central door with a small window to each side. The cruck roof is composed of 2 central crucks at 3 metre centres, unusual serpentine braces curving around 3 ridge poles, and paired tree purlins supporting closely laid branches on which the thatch sits. There is evidence of a hanging lum to the E. Early 20th century byre range to W gable with cobbled floor, part now incorporated into cottage. The garage at the W end is made from a former bothy and has a small fireplace.

Small wing adjoining E gable has inserted mid 20th century window.

Materials: Rendered random rubble with boulder footings. Timber cruck frame. 20th century half-glazed timber-boarded front door; plate glass windows in timber casements. Heather thatch under turf under corrugated iron roof. Rendered stack with squat red clay can.

Statement of Special Interest

A settlement named Wester Achra is shown on General Roy's map of circa 1750, but none of the buildings shown have the same relationship to the road as the present one, and it is very unlikely that a simple cottage would survive from that date. The present building is more likely to date from the end of the 18th century, when Lochearnhead was developed as a village of crofts to re-settle families from over-crowded 'fermtouns' (see Stewart). This cottage seems to be shown on Stobie's map of 1783, which suggests that it was one of the earliest crofts to be established in Lochearnhead. The OS maps show this cottage as consisting of a main building divided into 2 (indicating that 2 families had one room each) with smaller wings set back to each side. The East wing is probably the same as the one shown on the map, but the West wing is considerably larger, and was probably re-built in the early 20th century. The corrugated iron roof was probably put over the thatch following the opening of the Lochearnhead, St Fillans and Comrie railway in 1904 as sparks from the passing trains would have posed a serious fire risk.

One other cruck-framed cottage, Briar Cottage, survives in Lochearnhead. Briar Cottage was restored from derelict in the 1990s and has been smartened up considerably.

References

Bibliography

General Roy's Map, circa 1750; Shown on James Stobie, The Counties of Perth and Clackmannan (1783); Appears on 1st Edition OS map (1862); James Stewart, Settlements of Western Perthshire (1990) (for background information).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCHEARNHEAD, AUCHRAW TERRACE, WESTER AUCHRAW CROFT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 22:18