Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MARKET SQUARE, MARKET BUILDINGSLB41640

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/08/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87424 85890
Coordinates
387424, 785890

Description

Alexander Fraser, 1826-27; tower 1827; spire completed 1856, with later alterations. 2-storey and attic, 7-bay, piend-roofed, plain, classical market building; front to Allardice Street with projecting pedimented centre and 4-stage tower and spire; round-arched arcaded openings to ground. Red granite ashlar. Band course dividing floors. Voussoirs.

E (ALLARDICE STREET) ELEVATION: centre bay with 2-leaf panelled timber door and semicircular plate glass fanlight giving way to single window below further small horizontal window surmounted by shallow pediment breaking wallhead and surmounted by tower (see below); flanking arcaded bays with variety of shop doors and windows (that immediately to right of centre with out-of-character shop front), and loggias to outer bays. Regular fenestration to 1st floor and later pedimented dormers flanking centre bay.

TOWER: 130' tower polygonal plinth giving way to anta order rotunda including 4-timber-louvered round-arched openings and surmounted by cornice; octagonal clock stage; timber-columned, pedimented top stage surmounted by polygonal spire with ball finial and decorative ironwork weathervane.

N ELEVATION: loggia at ground comprising 3 segmental-arched openings; blocked window to centre at 1st floor giving way to shouldered wallhead stack.

S ELEVATION: loggia at ground, comprising 3 segmental-arched openings, modern fenestration within and large pall stones to interior angles; single window to centre at 1st floor giving way to shouldered wallhead stack above.

W (MARKET SQUARE) ELEVATION: ground floor arcade comprising open arches to loggias at outer left and right bays, remainder with variety modern shop fronts; near-regular fenestration to 1st floor with additional small windows flanking bay 4, and 2 unfortunate modern box dormers.

Plate glass glazing in non-traditional sash and case effect windows. Grey slates. Coped granite stacks with polygonal cans.

INTERIOR (1ST FLOOR UNIONIST CLUB): renovated 1980s but retaining part-glazed screen door, some decorative plasterwork cornicing and consoled keystoned arch; timber dadoes and architraved doors; staircase with timber handrail and enclosed balusters.

Statement of Special Interest

Listed for its prominent location as the focal point of Robert Barclay's planned New Town, and its survival (although altered) as one on Stonehaven's few significant commercial buildings. The Market Building, originally called The Market House, was commissioned by Captain Barclay-Allardice, and the square was originally known as Barclay Square. Its function as the County Buildings had ended by 1897 when the first floor had become the Royal Hotel. This space was subsequently taken over by the Unionist Club who still occupy the premises today (2005). Gibb shows the building before the completion of the spire in 1856. The spire bell was made by John C Wilson of Glasgow, and the clock, paid for by public subscription, was made by Breckinridge & Son of Kilmarnock. Wood's Town Plan of 1823 shows Market House already in existence, perhaps an earlier structure.

References

Bibliography

A Gibb VIEWS IN STONEHAVEN (1840). J Napier STONEHAVEN AND ITS HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS (1869), p7. F E Eeks STONEHAVEN, HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE (1897), p16. E Christie THE HAVEN UNDER THE HILL (1977, p16. J Geddes DEESDIE AND THE MEARNS (2001), p14.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MARKET SQUARE, MARKET BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2022 08:58