Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

58 AND 60 HIGH STREETLB41632

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87627 85549
Coordinates
387627, 785549

Description

Early 19th century, possibly incorporating 17th century fabric, renovated 1975. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay terraced house with corbel-linteled pend formerly the Water Yett. Harled with stone margins. Base course.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay at ground with deep-set timber door and adjacent small square window to left, broad window in bay to right and timber door in blocked yett at left with metal plaque (see Notes) set above; 3 windows to 1st floor (outer bays broader) and slate-hung canted dormers over outer bays flanking 2 later single windows in mansard link.

8-, 12- and 16-pane glazing patterns in replacement timber sash and cased windows; 6-pane glazing to fixed timber window at centre ground. Grey slates. Coped brick and harled stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Listed for its prominent siting on the High Street of Stonehaven's Old Town, and the historical importance of the Water Yett which 'gave access to the Carron Water and the beach. It was once the principal entrance to the town from the north' (Scottish Burgh Survey). The metal plaque, erected by Stonehaven Heritage Society in 1991, records that the beach was reached via 'the Water Close and a railed jetty' and 'Prior to 1975 grooves used for a portcullis could be seen'. The Old Water Gate is also known as one of the houses where Episcopalians met for worship.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1867). F E Eeks STONEHAVEN, HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE (1897), p19. Gourlay and Turner SCOTTISH BURGH SURVEY, HISTORIC STONEHAVEN (1978), p3. Jane Geddes DEESIDE AND THE MEARNS (2001), p10. Ed Dennis Smith THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, COUNTY OF KINCARDINESHIRE (1988).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 58 AND 60 HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/01/2020 14:09