Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

51A, B AND C HIGH STREETLB41626

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/08/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87618 85525
Coordinates
387618, 785525

Description

Early 17th century, with later alterations including slightly raised wallhead. 3-storey, 4-bay (bays grouped 1-3), L-plan terraced town house with corbelled stair turret. Harled with painted ashlar margins. Moulded doorpiece (weathered) with traces of ornament.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad moulded doorpiece with 2-leaf, vertically-boarded timber pend door in bay to left at ground, modern metal plaque set above (see Notes); arrowslit opening to left and three windows in bays to right. Regular fenestration to each floor above with corbelled out stair turret projecting from eaves at 2nd floor between bays 1 and 2.

W ELEVATION: gable predominantly obscured by adjoining building.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates, stone ridge and later rooflight. Coped harled gablehead stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews.

Statement of Special Interest

A fine 17th century town house flanked by sensitive mid 20th century local authority housing and situated close to Stonehaven's old Market Square, it remains a unique component of the Old Town. The moulded doorpiece, though weathered, retains the boldness of its original design. Some of the carving can still be recognised, notably the entwined foliate pattern on the lintel, and the human figure at the base of the left side. The metal plaque (installed by Stonehaven (Heritage Society in 1991) set above the door reads 'House of Ogilvy of Lumgair. This fine early 17th century dwellinghouse once belonged to William Ogilvy of Lumgair, the father of George Ogilvy of Barras who defended Dunnottar Castle in 1651/52 against Cromwell's forces'. The house originally had crowstepped gables, a photograph of which can be seen in Eeks.

References

Bibliography

Gibb VIEWS IN STONEHAVEN. A I McConnachie PICTORIAL KINCARDINESHIRE. F E Eeks STONEHAVEN, HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE (1897), p19. N Tranter THE EASTERN COUNTIES (1972), p353.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 51A, B AND C HIGH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/01/2020 15:29