Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

7 AND 8 (BURNSIDE) CARRON TERRACE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB41607

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87157 85717
Coordinates
387157, 785717

Description

Circa 1850/60. Single storey and attic, 5-bay terraced pair of boldly detailed, late classical houses; No 8 with late 19th to early 20th century single storey, single bay wing. Ashlar. Base and eaves courses. Consoled cornices to doors and to 3 advanced tripartite windows, latter with coupled outer consoles and block pediments rising above eaves.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 symmetrical bays, those to right with broad panelled timber door and 2-pane etched glass fanlight flanked by tripartite windows in flanking bays (No 7), further door with 2-pane fanlight in bay to left with tripartite beyond at outer left (No 8). 3 pedimented tripartite dormers above, those to No 7 flanking small rooflight. Further later flat-roofed bay projecting at outer left, incorporating panelled timber door to left, window to right and further window on return to right.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans; ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low coped ashlar boundary walls with corniced, square-section gatepiers and terminal piers to SE. High rubble boundary walls elsewhere.

Statement of Special Interest

A well-detailed pair of cottages overlooking The Carron Water which separates the grid iron plan New Town area, designed by Robert Barclay of Ury in 1797 and built on Arduthie Estate lands which had been purchased by his father in 1759, from the earlier harbour area. Deeds show that the land was feued in 1803 with a stipulation that any property should be built to a value of £50. In accordance with this, it may be that a wing to the rear of the current building is, in fact, the original 'but and ben' erected on the site.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1867). Information courtesy of owner No 8.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7 AND 8 (BURNSIDE) CARRON TERRACE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2022 08:38