Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 86750 85714
386750, 785714


Probably John Smith of Aberdeen, 1835-6; possibly extended (see Notes). Single storey and raised basement, 3-bay, piend-roofed classical house with later pedimented open porch, elegant bowed window and cupola, set in fine terraced garden and with distinguished glazing pattern. Harled with contrasting narrow finely droved margins. Deep sandstone base course to SE (rendered due to poor condition). Consoled cornices to NE and SE.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with broad open porch on new fluted timber columns and pilasters giving way to 6-panelled timber door with flanking lights and fine decoratively-astragalled fanlight, windows in flanking bays over basement windows with semicircular light traps.

SE ELEVATION: bowed bay to centre with 3 full-height windows over small horizontal basement windows, further windows in flanking bays.

SW ELEVATION: tall window to advanced gabled bay at centre, set-back bay to right with steps leading up to French window over small basement window, and further window in bay to left over full-height basement opening with glazed door.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: possibly later elevation (see Notes) with variety of elements including pavilion porch to right and full-height basement to left incorporating panelled timber door and fanlight.

Original 8- and 10-pane margined glazing to NE, SE, and SW (excluding basement openings), small-pane glazing patterns elsewhere, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped harled stacks with cans. Overhanging eaves.

INTERIOR: fine interior detailing retaining good decorative scheme. Plain moulded cornices; fluted architraves and 6-panelled doors; deep skirting boards; some working panelled shutters; marble and timber fire surrounds. Front hall with slate kerbing, inner hallway with decoratively-capitalled pilasters and circular cupola. Dog-leg staircase with decorative and plain ironwork balusters. Dining room formerly with steps leading to conservatory (replaced with simple ironwork steps). Drawing room with imported marble and slate fireplace. Kitchen with some flagstones and blocked dumb waiter. Wine cellar. Door under stair possibly formerly leading to well.

TERRACED GARDEN, BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: high harled buttressed terrace walls to NW, coped rubble terrace walls with flights of steps to SW and high coped rubble boundary walls. Tall pyramidally-capped square-section ashlar gatepiers with 2-leaf decorative ironwork gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Attributed to John Smith of Aberdeen, Carronbank is an important early survivor of the quality villas appearing at the edge of Robert Barclay's new town, together with the nearby similarly dated Rosebank (also with Smith style glazing of 4 main panes to each sash with flanking narrow margins) and South Church Manse. An aerial view of Carronbank shows the likelihood of an original U-plan building with its north facing courtyard infilled. The current (2006) kitchen doorway was located beneath harling and re-opened in the late 20th century, as were the steps leading down to basement level at the south west. The main door is flanked by apparently superfluous consoles, probably remnants of the original (presumably corniced) doorpiece. The frontispiece of Gibb's 'Views in Stonehaven' illustrates Carronbank prior to the addition of a porch, and entitled 'Carron Cottage the seat of A Burnett Esq.' At the turn of the century, Carronbank was owned by Euphemia Bannerman, sister of Sir Henry Campbell Bannerman, Liberal MP for Stirling and Prime Minister from 1905-8, and by 1923 the owner was J B Cunningham, Solicitor.



Gibb VIEWS IN STONEHAVEN AND ENVIRONS (1840). Information courtesy of owner. Fetteresso Parish VALUATION ROLL (1923-24).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 85 CAMERON STREET, CARRONBANK HOUSE INCLUDING TERRACED GARDEN, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/04/2019 04:58