Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CAMERON STREET, SOUTH CHURCH, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING CHURCH HALL LB41592

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87142 85743
Coordinates
387142, 785743

Description

James Souttar, 1868-9; alterations, including addition of new gallery and seating, 1896; church hall added 1897. Tall single stage, single bay, Greek cross-plan, Gothic church with 2-stage, pyramidal-roofed stair tower in re-entrant angle, curvilinear-traceried window and fine interior. Small blocks of roughly squared and snecked coursed rubble with ashlar margins, some stugged; tower of larger blocks of snecked squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Base and band courses. Single stage, broad, clasping buttresses of shallow projection. Voussoirs, stop-chamfered reveals, raked cills. Vertically-boarded 2-leaf timber doors.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: cross-finialled gable to street with large 4-light traceried window, flanked by blocked tiny rectangular openings at springing point of arch; steps up to deep-set door in small gabled porch projecting at left, and tower to right with door, flanking buttresses and 2-light traceried window at 1st stage giving way to modillioned cornice and pyramid roof.

W ELEVATION: advanced gable with 2-light traceried window behind external secondary glazing, and tower in re-entrant angle to left comprising small window at 1st stage and 2-light traceried window above. Door in low link section projecting at outer right.

Diamond-pattern leaded glazing with painted margins; stained glass memorial window to S. Grey slates. Stepped ashlar skews with mitre skewputts. Diminutive triangular louvered roof ventilators and base of polygonal spire? at crossing.

INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place incorporating fixed timber pews, vertically-boarded timber dadoes, N gallery on 4 iron columns with arcaded front, centre clock and raked seats. Compartmented and stencilled boarded timber ceiling. Narthex screen of panelled timber and multi-pane leaded top lights, and winding stair with barley-twist balusters, square-section finialled newel posts and small blocked pointed-arch opening. Chancel arch to S with pipe organ housing and 1896 stained glass window gifted by William Mowat. Circular, arcaded timber pulpit from 1843 church. Mural monuments include 1914-19 granite war memorial to 'Those of the North U F Church who fell in the Great War', 1914-19 timber war memorial 'In Loving Memory of those connected with this Congregation who gave their lives in the Great War', and timber memorial to 'Those connected with this congregation who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939-1945'. Vestry with boarded dado and ceiling, and gas lamp.

CHURCH HALL: single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, linked church hall to SW, with traceried circular window to W and modern windows elsewhere.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The South Church was built as Stonehaven Free Church. The original, 1843, Free Church in Mary Street is now a Masonic Hall. The foundation stone of the Cameron Street building was laid by Lord Kintore on July 7th, 1868, and the new church was opened in 1869. After joining with the United Presbyterian Church, during the tenure of Rev Michie (1895-1920) the South Church became the United Free Church. The North and South Churches in Stonehaven united in 1927, and in 1929 the United Free Churches joined with the Church of Scotland and the South Church became the South Church as it is known today. The church hall was presented by Mr William Mowat of Viewmount, and opened on 21st July, 1897.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen Journal CONTRACTS, 1st March 1868. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1867). www.stonehavensouthchurch.co.uk. E Christie THE HAVEN UNDER THE HILL (1977), pp43-4.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAMERON STREET, SOUTH CHURCH, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING CHURCH HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/01/2022 19:20