Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BRIDGEFIELD,1 - 5 (INCLUSIVE NOS) RICKARTON COTTAGES INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGSLB41585

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87434 85648
Coordinates
387434, 785648

Description

1875-6. Single storey and attic, 8-bay, short terrace of cottages with rusticated porches and pavilion centre with timber verandah. Narrow bands of stugged ashlar with contrasting droved ashlar dressings 2 courses deep. Pointed-arch openings to 1st floor centre. Stone mullions, raked cills and chamfered arrises.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bays to centre (No 3) incorporating panelled timber door at left and broad window at right (altered from bipartite) under full-width verandah with bracketed cornice and cast-iron parapet; 1st floor with 2 original openings at left and centre, that to left with Y-traceried window (replaced) and that to centre with inscribed panel (see Notes), bay to right with later 5-light, dentilled and corniced, flat-roofed canted window. Bays to left of centre (Nos 4 and 5) unaltered survivals with paired panelled timber doors at centre under gabled open timber porch, narrow flanking lights and tripartites to outer bays with tripartite gabled dormers above flanking small modern rooflights. Bays to right (Nos 1 and 2) mirror those to left but with altered windows and additional out-of-character dormers.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows to Nos 4 and 5; out-of-character late 20th century glazing elsewhere. Grey slates with decorative terracotta cresting. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Overhanging eaves with exposed rafters and plain bargeboarding.

INTERIORS: No 3 with moulded plasterwork cornices, timber dadoes, staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and sandstone fireplace. No 4 with original fireplace, timber work and staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: low saddleback-coped ashlar boundary walls with battered ashlar gatepiers to No 3, and decorative cast-iron railings to No 5 (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

This remarkable group has had its considerable character eroded by out-of-keeping and materially alien alterations. However, there are remnants at the core of a symmetrical design and some fine details and local historic interest. The rear garden walls of Rickarton Cottages form a boundary with the category 'B' listed Church of the Immaculate Conception (Arbuthnott Place), with No 3 being the Presbytery. All of the cottages were originally church owned, number 4 being rented to the grandmother of the current (2005) owner from circa 1929-30, and purchased in 1958. The inscription on the commemorative panel at No 3 reads 'Erected as a memorial of William Rickart Hepburn Esq of Rickarton who died 30 May 1873'. William Hepburn was the proprietor of Rickarton House and estate on the north bank of the Cowie Water, some three miles north west of Stonehaven. The railings retained at No 5 survived wartime requisitioning (the fate of those formerly cresting the low boundary walls) due to the mill lade running along the side of Rickarton Cottages.

References

Bibliography

Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER SCOTLAND VOL V (1885), p252. Ed Dennis Smith THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT COUNTY OF KINCARDINESHIRE (1988), p95. Information courtesy of owner of No 4.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIDGEFIELD,1 - 5 (INCLUSIVE NOS) RICKARTON COTTAGES INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 05:36