Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BALQUHIDDER PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARDLB4157

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Balquhidder
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 53568 20951
Coordinates
253568, 720951

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

David Bryce with John, James and William Hay (see Notes), 1853-5. 5-bay, roughly rectangular-plan Gothic Parish Church of rather squat proportions with a dominant steep roof, substantial gabled porch, 2-tier belfry on W gablehead, battered base course and buttresses, lean-to vestry to rear and cusped pointed-arch lights. Balquhidder church is well-detailed, almost unaltered and occupies a prominent position at the heart of Balquhidder. There has been a church on or near this site since the early medieval period, and the village of Balquhidder is properly called the Kirktown of Balquhidder.

A substantial gabled porch is situated on S elevation: 3 steps lead to the pointed-arch entrance which is stop-chamfered and has a hood mould. The bays on the N and S elevations are marked by cusped lights and divided by battered buttresses. There is also a blocked eaves course to these elevations. On the W elevation is a 3-light window of cusped lancets grouped under a pointed arch which springs from flanking buttresses. At the gable apex is a shouldered, 2-tier belfry of 3 cusped arches, only one of which now holds a bell. The E elevation has two cusped lancets flanking a central shouldered buttress; at the gable apex is a trefoil light. Above the lean-to vestry on the N elevation is a gabled dormer window rising from the eaves of the main body of the church. The gables all have corbelled skewputts and ashlar-coped skews.

Interior: arch-braced timber ceiling supported on stone corbels; timber gallery at E end; carved pine pulpit and other fittings. The font is an ancient roughly-hewn bowl-shaped stone on 1917 carved plinth. The St Angus Stone, which is propped against the N wall, is 8th or 9th century and is believed to be the gravestone of St Angus who brought Christianity to the glen. It is carved with a figure of the saint, holding the cup of salvation.

Materials: 2-leaf timber-boarded main door with strap hinges; timber-boarded door to vestry. Coursed, bull-faced sandstone with polished dressings, which were cut and carted from Queensferry. Graded greenish slate; decorative red terracotta ridge tiles.

Churchyard with Boundary Wall, Stile and War Memorial: Notable collection of gravestones and burial enclosures. Numerous grave slabs of early date, some with noteworthy sculpture. The burial place of Rob Roy and family is just E of the Old Kirk. Random rubble boundary wall; retaining wall with stile to S of churchyard. War Memorial by George Washington Browne, circa 1920.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Former School and Schoolhouse, Ardachaidh and Old Library Tea Room. Ecclesiastical building in use as such. This is at least the third church known to have existed on or near this site. It was commissioned by David Carnegie, who had purchased the Stronvar Estate in 1849. Carnegie had made a large fortune from brewing and sugar refining in Sweden, and a similar church, St Briget's, also by Bryce, was erected by him in Gothenburg. This church is traditionally attributed to David Bryce (who also designed Stronvar House), but the Buildings Of Scotland volume also mentions the involvement of the architectural firm Hay of Liverpool. The respective roles of Bryce and the Hays is unclear: it is possible that the latter, who built a number of churches across central Scotland, were the executant architects. The school, schoolhouse and house opposite the church were also commissioned by Carnegie and are built with similar log-effect stonework.

The ruins of the previous church, which was built in 1631, lie in the churchyard. It was in bad condition and partially dismantled when the present church was built. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The 1631 church was built directly to the West of the previous, medieval, church which originally housed the St Angus Stone. Rob Roy MacGregor's grave now occupies that spot. St Angus was a Celtic missionary who brought Christianity to Balquhidder.

References

Bibliography

Kirk Session Minutes at Stirling Archives. Shown on 1st Edition OS map (1862). Proceedings of The Society Of Antiquaries of Scotland 1886-7, p407 (mentions font). Spalding Club, 'Sculptured Stones Of Scotland', volume LXVII, p32 (for St Angus Stone). Gifford & Walker, 'Buildings Of Scotland: Stirling And Central Scotland' (2002) pp200-1.

www.stronvar.co.uk/balquhidder .

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALQUHIDDER PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 04:09