Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

21 AND 21A ANN STREETLB41539

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87315 85885
Coordinates
387315, 785885

Description

Earlier 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay (above ground), terraced house (possibly former shop). Coursed squared rubble with projecting stone cills.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf panelled timber door and bipartite window to left at ground, further timber door with letterbox fanlight to right; 2 windows to 1st floor and 2 dormer windows above, that to left canted, that to right bipartite and piended.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped squared rubble stack with cans and thackstanes; ashlar-coped skew to S.

Statement of Special Interest

This building does not appear on Wood's 1823 Plan of Stonehaven, but extensive building in the area is indicated on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1867. In 1759 Robert Barclay of Ury purchased the estate of Arduthie for £1500 with the intention of developing a 'planned town' separated geographically from the Old Town and harbour by the Carron Water, and bordered to the north by the Water of Cowie. Building of the New Town, designed on an irregular grid-iron plan by his son Robert, commenced in 1797 with streets named after family members. The Market House (later Buildings) is sited in Barclay Square (later Market Square) with the principal streets, Allardice, Barclay and Ann running N-S and Cameron, Evan and Mary Streets running E-W; further minor links extend to both N and W. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie, p15). The first house, built on the north bank to the Carron and now demolished, was soon followed by those facing the Square and main streets.

References

Bibliography

J Reid PICTURESQUE STONEHAVEN (undated). E Christie THE HAVEN UNDER THE HILL (1977). Gourlay and Turner SCOTTISH BURGH SURVEY HISTORIC STONEHAVEN (1978). 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1867).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 21 AND 21A ANN STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/01/2022 18:37