Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ALLARDICE STREET, TOWN HALLLB41534

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87458 85879
Coordinates
387458, 785879

Description

Matthews and Lawrie (Inverness), 1879; additions by D and J R McMillan, 1903. 2-storey and attic, 6-bay (bays grouped 1-5) Renaissance style Town Hall with plain frieze and cornice to pilastered doorpiece, and 5-bay, piend-roofed hall to rear with vaulted and galleried interior. Stugged squared rubble with contrasting polished and raised red sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings; hall of snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Base, ground floor cill, and band courses, eaves cornice and parapet. Segmental-arched windows and pend entrance to ground, and roundheaded windows with panelled aprons to 1st floor, all keystoned.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 symmetrical bays to right with 2-leaf panelled timber door at centre, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration linked by band course at springing of arches to 1st floor; slightly set-back bay over pend to outer left with cart arch at ground and single window above. 5 regularly-disposed pedimented dormer windows set-back behind parapet with squat urns and centre panel (with eroded date).

N (HALL) ELEVATION: 4 round-arched windows partially obscured by later lean-to range; further 2-storey crowstepped wing to outer left.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Shouldered and coped ashlar stacks with full-complement of cans. Ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: some fine interior detail retained including moulded plasterwork cornices; timber fire surround; vertically-boarded timber dadoes; architraved and panelled doors. Broad, top-lit, dog-leg staircase with enclosed balustrade. Public hall with decorative, compartmented, vaulted ceiling and horseshoe gallery with decorative cast-iron parapet and stage to E. Bronze and marble mural monument 'In Memory of J W Crombie MP for Kincardineshire 1892-1908. Erected by His Constituents'.

Statement of Special Interest

The fine Renaissance façade facing one of Stonehaven's principal streets is supported by a substantial hall overlooking Stonehaven Bay. Groome notes that the Town Hall was built at a cost of £4000, and 'contains a picture of 'The Coming Storm', presented by the architect, Mr W Lawrie, Inverness. Besides a public hall, it comprises news, billiard, and reading rooms'. Also by Matthews & Lawrie, Inverness Town House (1876-82). James Matthews designed the Clydesdale Bank at Ann Street. On 28th October, 1889, the Town Council took over government of the whole burgh, and held meetings in this building.

References

Bibliography

'The Building News' Vol XXXII and 'The Architects Magazine' Vol III No 35 (September 1903). Groome's GAZETTEER VOL VI (1885), p400. Glendinning, MacInnes & MacKechnie SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996). Ed Dennis Smith THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, COUNTY OF KINCARDINESHIRE (1988), p86.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALLARDICE STREET, TOWN HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/01/2022 20:18