Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BUGHTRIG HOUSELB4114

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
09/06/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
01/02/1999
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Eccles
NGR
NT 79596 44797
Coordinates
379596, 644797

Description

Late 18th to early 19th century; remodelled late 19th century; later additions and alterations. Originally symmetrical 2-storey with basement, 3-bay classically-detailed house with later single storey and basement, 2-bay flanking wings. Late 19th century remodelling removes central stair accessing ground floor entrance, creating new entrance via basement (subsequently ground floor). Coursed, lightly stugged cream sandstone to front at centre; coursed and droved cream sandstone to sides; ashlar dressings (droved in part); squared and snecked tooled cream rubble at rear; dry-dashed additions to NE. Raised band course at principal floor; corniced eaves; continuous parapet at centre; balustraded parapets to flanking wings. Giant order panelled, quoin pilasters to central block; droved long and short quoins to flanking wings. Squat windows at ground to front (former basement); projecting cills throughout. Single storey ancillary structures at rear.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay central block slightly advanced at centre with projecting, flat-roofed porch centred at ground; 2-leaf boarded timber door; architraved surround; engaged columns; block pediment. Small-pane French windows centred at 1st floor with round-arched, bat-wing fanlight; single window aligned above. Single windows at all floors in flanking bays. 2-storey wings to outer left and right with single windows in both bays at both floors.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 7-bay. 3-light, shallow-bowed windows at both floors in bay off-set to right of centre. Timber panelled door at ground in subsequent bay to right; letterbox fanlight; single window at ground in bay to outer right. Single windows at both floors in remaining 4 bays to left of bow. Tripartite dormer in taller block recessed above.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated main block with central wallhead dormer. Projecting 2-storey, flat-roofed addition to right with single windows at both floors off-set to left of centre; single window at ground to right. 2-storey dry-dashed addition recessed to outer left.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind elevation to 2-storey wing projecting to outer left. Dry-dashed addition recessed to right; single windows at all floors in 3-storey block recessed to right; 2-storey, flat-roofed addition recessed to outer right.

12-, 16- and 20-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs; iron rainwater goods. Corniced sandstone wallhead stacks; various circular cans.

INTERIOR: remodelled late 19th, early 20th century. Former basement now ground floor. Timber panelled hall; segmental-arched red brick fireplace. Ground floor reception rooms with boarded timber floors; plain plasterwork; timber panelled doors; some architraved door surrounds; timber shutters; fireplaces. Dentil detailing to segmental arches framing stair accessing 1st floor (former ground floor); timber treads, ball-finialled, fluted timber newels, timber uprights. Upper reception rooms with decorative cornices; dado rails and panelling; fireplaces include timber surround with carved swag detailing; original entrance vestibule in place. Stair accessing upper floor as continuation of that at ground. Remaining rooms not seen 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group comprises Bughtrig House, the East and West Lodges and Wood Cottage (see separate list entries). Noted in the Ordnance Survey Name Book as being "...of recent erection" with "...every possible comfort and elegance." A photograph dated 1875 (reproduced in the NMRS) shows the house prior to its remodelling - with a central forestair accessing a columned entrance centred at ground (now the 1st floor). Despite this remodelling, which, although on a smaller scale, can be compared with that at the nearby Marchmont House, Bughtrig remains one of the most significant houses in the parish. A stable block, complete with boarded timber stalls and tack-room is set to the SW of the house. A partially-walled garden is set to the S of the stables, with adjoining lean-to greenhouses and a rectangular-plan, rubble-built potting shed to the SW. The gatepiers and boundary walls which front the main road to the E and W are listed with their respective lodges.

References

Bibliography

Blackadder's map, 1797 (evident). Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856-1858) Reel 62, Book 17, NMRS. Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856-1858) Reel 62, Book 17, NMRS. Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident). RUTHERFURD'S SOUTHERN COUNTIES' REGISTER AND DIRECTORY (1866, reprinted 1990) p654, 658. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1882) p463. C A Strang BORDERS AND BERWICK: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) p62. NMRS photographic archives.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BUGHTRIG HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 02:19