Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CUMLEDGE WITH SUSPENSION BRIDGE, GATEPIERS AND AUXILIARY BUILDINGS, INCLUDING U-PLAN COURT AND COTTAGESLB4112

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Duns
NGR
NT 79075 56401
Coordinates
379075, 656401

Description

Mid 18th century with later alterations and additions (dated 1834 to rear). 2-storey, 5-bay classical house with flanking crowstepped pavilions set back. Droved ashlar with polished ashlar dressings; squared and snecked sandstone, flanking pavilions. Base course, band course between floors, eaves course.

SE ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay group with outer pavilions. Canted single storey porch to centre with cornice and blocking course with deep-set panelled door with ornamental glazing to rectangular fanlight above, SW return elevation. Window at 1st floor above. Outer bays canted and piended with tall, narrow round-arched niches to angled elevations and windows to each floor to SE. Segmental arch (blinded to SW) with shield above and window to gablehead of each set back (to align with rear elevation) pavilions; cruciform ashlar finial to NE pavilion.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: stair window to centre, date stone (1834) above, with flat-roofed line-rendered addition at ground. 2-leaf door to outer left of central 3-bay group with diamond-paned rectangular fanlight above. Outer bays advanced. Monopitch addition with screen wall to outer left; blank at ground of outer right with window at 1st floor above.

NE RANGE (PAVILION): 4-bay SW elevation with windows at 1st floor of bays to centre breaking eaves. Window at ground of bay to inner left; segmentally-arched opening with 2-leaf boarded door at ground of bay to inner right. Boarded door at ground to outer left. Modern part-glazed door to outer right. Later boarded addition to outer right at 1st floor on metal girder-stilts. Later single storey monopitch addition to NE elevation.

SW RANGE (PAVILION): blinded window at ground and 1st floor of bay to right of NE elevation. Boarded later addition to centre and left of centre. Windows to each of 4 bays of SW elevation except in bay to inner right with 2-leaf boarded door.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piend and platformed slate roof to central 3 bays. Rendered stacks.

INTERIOR: shutters in place. Canted front to NE pavilion ground floor room; bowed front to SW pavilion ground floor room. Cast-iron ornamental balustrade to stone stairs, with timber handrail.

SUSPENSION BRIDGE: vehicular bridge. 1953; concrete. Battered pylons with flat coping and shaped arch-tie to banks flanking segmental-arched deck; metal rope stays.

AUXILIARY BUILDINGS: U-plan rubble court of varying dates, 2-storey and single storey to W of house, comprising stables, granary, recent use as pig sties. Further single storey rectangular-plan, rubble and timber shed to NW of U-plan court. 2 single storey later raised to 2-storey cottages to SE of court, across Burn and other to SW of court near road.

GATEPIERS: chamfered arrises to square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal copping.

Statement of Special Interest

The stable and granary might once have been part of a mill complex, as it is close to the burn. A mill stone is found on the property. The 1948 floods swept away the conventional stone bridge which had formerly crossed the Cumledge Burn.

References

Bibliography

Maps consulted: Blaeu Berwick (1654). Armstrong County of Berwick, (1771). Blackadder Berwickshire (1797). Thomson Berwickshire (1821). John Ainslie Environs of Edinburgh, Haddington, Dunse, Kelso...etc. (1821). Sharp, Greenwood and Fowler ?County of Berwick? (1826). Crawford and Brooke, Map embracing extensive portions of the Counties of Roxburgh, Berwick, Selkirk and Midlothian etc. (circa 1843). 1st edition OS map (1857).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CUMLEDGE WITH SUSPENSION BRIDGE, GATEPIERS AND AUXILIARY BUILDINGS, INCLUDING U-PLAN COURT AND COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/04/2021 03:13