Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 79512 93412
279512, 693412


J Gaff Gillespie of Salmon, Son & Gillespie, 1908; later extensions, Walter H Gillespie of Gillespie, Stirling Burgh Architect, 1965-8. Scots Baronial with tower and Tudor Collegiate blocks. Won in competition. Sandstone ashlar. 7-bay SE block with cill course at ground, battered cills at 1st floor, bracketed crenellated parapet; stone mullions and transoms, gablet coping to wall and finialled gabled dormerheads.

SE BLOCK: Tudor collegiate, 2-storey and attic, 7-bay. Round-arched, keystoned openings at ground and tall bipartite windows at 1st floor. Gabled entrance bay advanced at centre with bowed oriel corbelled out over door at 1st floor. 4 bipartite windowed gabled dormers behind parpapet.

SW BLOCK: Scots Baronial with 3-storey and attic engaged, round towers framing 3-bay S elevation with giant Corinthian columns. 5-storey tower to W elevation with octagonal angle turret, 2-storey oriel, 4-storey arched recesses, towerhead set back with steeply gabled faces and Venetian openings, clock faces to gableheads, lead cupola rising from roof intersection.

Fixed plate glass windows to round-arched windows of 2-storey block, small-pane glazing patterns in timber windows of remainder, in casement, hopper and sash and case form. Slate roof. Leaded cupola with finial. Flagpole to 5-storey tower.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

Statement of Special Interest

A fine Edwardian municipal office design employing appropriate styles for the burgh's historic importance and the collective purpose of the chambers.

Competition scheme of 1908, started in 1914 and only partially completed by 1918. Unrealised scheme for completion of original competition design by Gillespie Kidd and Coia, 1937. Additional bay added to right of entrance (date unknown). Further extension to corner with Spittal Street by the burgh architects' office, 1965-8.

Supplementary information updated with minor amendments in 2016.



A Koch BRITISH COMPETITIONS (illustration and plan).

BUILDER, February 28, 1908.

C McKean STIRLING (RIAS, 1994), pp34-36.


About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8 AND 10 CORN EXCHANGE ROAD, MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/06/2023 03:31