Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

COWANE'S HOSPITAL SUNDIALLB41102

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019
Date Added
04/11/1965
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Burgh
Stirling
NGR
NS 79196 93644
Coordinates
279196, 693644

Description

Composite, pedestal sundial. Brass dial by Andrew Dickie of Stirling, dated 1727; octagonal base and plinth, possibly 1673 (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an A-Group with Cowane's Hospital (see separate listing).

An interesting example of a composite sundial, consisting of 17th and 18th century elements, and an integral part of the Cowane's Hospital Garden (see Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes). A sundial designed by mason, John Buchanan was brought to the garden in 1673. The octagonal base is believed to be part of that original sundial. The brass dial of 1727 has been set into a later classical pedestal of unknown origin. The 1727 gnomon survives and is currently held securely by the Master of Cowane's Hospital (2012).

First laid out in 1661 as a pleasure ground, the Cowane's Hospital Garden was redesigned by Thomas Harlow, gardener to the 6th Earl of Mar, in 1712 with a bowling green boarded on each side by Dutch inspired triangular parterres. It occupies a key site at the heart of the old core of the City of Stirling adjacent to the Church of the Holy Rude (see separate listing).

Cowane's Hospital, adjacent to the garden to the NW, is a rare survival of 17th century burgh architecture in Scotland and one of the finest buildings of its type and period. It was added to the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in 2012 (see Inventory entry for full details).

List description for Sundial revised, 2012.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survay Map (1858); RCAHMS Inventory.231; John Gifford and Frank Arneil Walker, The Buildings of Scotland - Stirling And Central Scotland (2002) p709; Benjamin Tindall Architects, Cowane's Hospital Stirling, Conservation Plan (2011). Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COWANE'S HOSPITAL SUNDIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 08:34