Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ST JOHN STREET, EBENEZER ERSKINE MONUMENTLB41088

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/11/1965
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Burgh
Stirling
NGR
NS 79286 93618
Coordinates
279286, 693618

Description

Peddie & Kinnear, 1859. Classical, 3-stage, domed monument to Ebenezer Erskine, marking site of tomb in former church (see Notes). Sandstone ashlar; 30' high, 15'6" square; low coped rubble boundary walls and decorative inset ironwork railings.

ALL ELEVATIONS: 3 steps up to fielded plinth with cavetto cornice giving way to paired, Corinthian columns at outer angles, similar smaller columns to recessed centre flanking round-headed arch with carved spandrels and keystones: plain frieze with dentilled, moulded cavetto cornice below 3rd stage with urn resting on scrollwork plinth to each angle and set-back drum with blind, round-headed arcade and fishscale-patterned dome with elaborately carved finial.

NE ELEVATION: frieze inscribed 'EBENEZER ERSKINE'.

Statement of Special Interest

The original Erskine Church was erected in 1740 for Rev Ebenezer Erskine and his seceding congregation; he died in 1754 and was buried within this building. The old church was replaced in 1824-6 by a classical building (now facade only) with the original site converted to a garden in which this monument was erected.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY No 132. Charles McKean STIRLING AND THE TROSSACHS (1985), p30.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST JOHN STREET, EBENEZER ERSKINE MONUMENT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2019 05:09