Cruciform. Lower stages of oblong west tower and nave,
1456-circa 1470, nave 5-bay, piers circular except for
shafted eastmost pair. Clerestory vaulted aisles, original
wooden roof; St Mary's Aisle at NW bay 1484, largely
demolished 1818; St Andrew's Aisle in angle of N transept,
before 1483, vaulted rectangle. Choir 1507-1540, higher than
nave on steeply sloping site, 3-bay with vaulted aisles and
triforium (now converted to clerestory) original wooden roof
(lined on inside 1869), 3-sided apsed presbytery with pointed
barrel vault: tower completed, John Couttis master mason in
1529, plain battlemented, upper 2-stages set back N and S
sides. Church divided 1656. East Church altered 1803, James
Millar (Stirling): West Church altered 1818, porch, St Mary's
Aisle, Bowye's Aisle and W. doorway removed, new tracery,
James Gillespie Graham. Additions, J T Rochead, 1867.
Alterations to East Church, clerestory etc James Collie
(Bridge of Allan) 1869.
Restoration of West Church 1911-14, Dr Thomas Ross. General
restoration, removal of division wall, completion of
crossing, transepts and porch, James Miller (Glasgow)
1936-40. Pulpit, 17th century reconstructed 1911-14.
Bells: 2 by Chapman 1781, Ouderogge 1657, and one 15th
century. Stained glass, chancel window, East Church, to
memory of John Cowane, 'Last Supper and Sermon on the Mount'.
Glasgow Society of the Sons of the Rock, in memory of their
visit to Stirling, 1868 'Christ teaching in the Temple' etc,
both by James Ballantine (Edinburgh); good S transept window
of the Seasons by Douglas Strachan 1945 etc.