Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

LAINSHAW HOUSELB41076

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Stewarton
NGR
NS 41017 45269
Coordinates
241017, 645269

Description

Largely early-mid 19th century, with some earlier fabric (see Notes). Converted to flats 2008. Asymmetrical, 3-storey, 6- x 3-bay Classical mansion with Tudor-Gothic details and later 4-bay Gothic single-storey and attic wing to N and 18th century, 3-storey, 2-bay rubble section incorporated at rear. Cream sandstone ashlar with raised margins. Cill course, cornice, blocking course. Hoodmoulds to windows at upper storeys. Some segmental-arched window openings to ground.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal (E) elevation: off-centre, painted Doric tetrastyle portico with recessed porch with part-glazed timber entrance door and flanking narrow windows. Advanced 4-bay section to right with narrow full-height angle turrets breaking eaves. 2-storey, single-bay crenellated section set at right angles to far right. Some 21st century additions to rear.

Predominantly 8-pane replacement timber sash and case windows to ground and upper storey. Principal rooms to 1st floor with 12-pane and 8-pane glazing with fixed lights above with circular glazing pattern. Grey slates.

Statement of Special Interest

Lainshaw House is one of the principal country houses in the Stewarton area. It has a complex building history and its external appearance is now largely of the 19th century. An unusual combination of the Classical style with some Tudor-Gothic details such as hoodmoulds and slender angle turrets, Lainshaw is an important part of the area's architectural history.

Situated on the banks of the River Annick, it is likely that a residence existed at this site since the 15th century. The exterior of the present house dates predominantly from the early part of the 19th century and the majority of the building was constructed by the first William Cunningham of Lainshaw, who died in 1849. An earlier, 18th century section of the house can be seen at the rear of the house and recent archaeological work suggests that small sections of a previous 15th or 16th century tower house may remain within the present house (RCAHMS).

The 10th Laird of Lainshaw, Sir Walter Montgomerie-Cuninghame, lost a fortune as a result of the American War of Independence. The estate was then bought in 1779 by William Cunninghame, a tobacco merchant from Kilmarnock. On acquiring the Estate, William spent a great deal of money extending the house and the grounds and the earlier section to the rear of the house may date from his occupancy. His son, William Cunningham the Younger then inherited the Estate in 1799. He remodelled the house extensively during the early part of the 19th century and it is recorded that an additional wing was begun in 1824. This may be the single-storey Gothic wing. It may be that the majority of the house was constructed in 1833. He died in 1849 and the house passed to his younger half-brother. The house remained in the family until it was bought by the Local Authority in 1947 and became a care home for the elderly. Originally situated within large estate grounds, the development of the town of Stewarton through the 20th century has meant that Lainshaw now sits close by the town and recent 21st century houses are nearby. The interior was previously damaged by fire. It has recently been converted into flats and some chimneypieces are though to remain (2009).

.

List description updated as part of Stewarton Burgh resurvey, 2009.

References

Bibliography

Andrew Armstrong, A New Map of Ayrshire, 1775. John Thomson, Northern Part of Ayrshire, 1828. Michael Davis, The Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire, 1991, p314. Canmore database at www.rcahms.gov.uk (accessed 07-04-08). Laura MacDonald unpublished dissertation, Lainshaw, at RCAHMS, (DPM1890/50/2/13). Other information from Stewarton website, www.stewarton,irg (accessed 12-08-08). Other information courtesy of developers.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LAINSHAW HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 14:03