Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ANNICK WATER VIADUCTLB41074

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Stewarton
NGR
NS 41669 45530
Coordinates
241669, 645530

Description

1868, George Cunninghame for the Glasgow Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway. Landmark, 10-span round-arched railway viaduct over Annick Water. Coursed, rock faced masonry with impost and moulded string courses.

Statement of Special Interest

The Annick Water viaduct is a tall and imposing structure which forms an impressive and distinctive landmark in the area. It crosses the Annick Water to the South West of Stewarton and is a dominant feature of the town.

The viaduct was built as part of the Glasgow Barrhead & Kilmarnock Joint Railway and was a key part of a new line going from Glasgow to Kilmarnock through Stewarton and Kilmaurs. The contractor was James McNaughton. The previous route had gone through Dalry and was rather indirect. Once built, the new route became the main route to the South was able to connect with trains in England. Eventually a new station, St Enoch's (now demolished) was built in Glasgow to accommodate the rising new traffic. The foundation stone of the last arch of the viaduct was laid by Colonel Mure, the Master of the Kilwinning Lodge in 1868 and the day was a general holiday for the people of Stewarton. Work did not begin on the railway line until 1870, but the viaduct was completed in 1868. Two men were killed in the building of the viaduct.

List description revised as part of Stewarton Burgh resurvey, 2009.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1894-6). R Close, Ayrshire and Arran, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1992 p121. Gordon Biddle & O S Nock, The Railway Heritage of Britain, 1983 p138. Other information from Stewarton history website at www.stewarton.org (accessed 10-04-08).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ANNICK WATER VIADUCT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 12:45