Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ST ABB'S HEAD, LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING FOGHORN, FOGHORN ENGINE HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND STAIRLB4103

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
09/06/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Coldingham
NGR
NT 91425 69243
Coordinates
391425, 669243

Description

David and Thomas Stevenson, opened 1862 with later additions and alterations.

LIGHTHOUSE: major but diminutive light comprising circular-plan, triangular-paned lantern with finialled, hemispherical cap on squat single storey, whitewashed base of interlocking square and circle, with painted coping. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

FOGHORN: separate single storey, semicircular-plan block to N with surmounting foghorn.

FOGHORN ENGINE HOUSE: single storey, rectangular-plan engine house to SW. Whitewashed harl; bull-faced sandstone dressings (painted in part). SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: segmental-arched doorway off-set to right. SE AND NW (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: segmental-arched windows in both bays. Doorway in gabled addition to right and single window in gabled addition to left respectively. 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Flat roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND STAIR: rubble-coped, whitewashed rubble, semicircular boundary wall to W of light. Steep stair to SW with rubble-coped, whitewashed rubble walls to sides; 2-leaf pedestrian gate.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group comprises 'St Abb's Head, Lighthouse' and 'St Abb's Head, Lightkeeper's Cottage, Lighthouse Retreat & Keeper's Hold' - see separate list entry. Although now in separate ownership, both the lighthouse and the cottages once associated with it form a significant group, prominently set on St Abb's Head (a nature reserve). Commissioned by the Northern Lighthouse Board, the lighthouse was opened on 24th February 1862 and, now automated, is still in use 1999.

References

Bibliography

SRO RHP30809, 30952. Ordnance Survey map, 1856 (not evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1899 (evident). A Thomson COLDINGHAM: PARISH AND PRIORY (1908) pp69-70. J Leslie & R Paxton BRIGHT LIGHTS: THE STEVENSON ENGINEERS 1752-1971 (1999) p192. B Bathurst THE LIGHTHOUSE STEVENSONS (1999). NMRS photographic records.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST ABB'S HEAD, LIGHTHOUSE INCLUDING FOGHORN, FOGHORN ENGINE HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND STAIR

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 14:50