Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

PRESS CASTLE INCLUDING ANCILLARY RANGE, COURTYARD WALL, BOUNDARY WALLS, QUADRANT WALLS, PIERS AND GATEPIERSLB4101

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
26/01/2000
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Coldingham
NGR
NT 87094 65402
Coordinates
387094, 665402

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century, incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical, 2-storey with raised basement, 4-bay, rectangular-plan house with castellated Tudor Gothic detailing; later full-height wing at rear forming near L-plan; further lower wing at rear forming U-plan with lower ancillary range adjoined to E, enclosing service courtyard. Painted harl; painted dressings. Moulded eaves to principal block; surmounting crenellated parapet. Narrow quoin strips throughout; plain margins; some chamfered openings.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to projecting porch off-set to left of centre with 2-leaf panelled and studded door; Tudor-arched, decorative fanlight; figurative statues surmounting flanking turrets; single window aligned at 1st floor. Single windows at all floors in bay recessed to outer left (architraved hoodmoulds); narrow windows at all floors in bay recessed to right. Full-height later canted windows to outer right.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay principal block to left with single windows at ground and 1st floors to left; single windows at all floors to right; porch recessed to outer left with part-glazed timber panelled door at basement; Tudor-arched, decorative fanlight; pointed-arch window aligned above. Full-height, 3-bay range recessed to right with near full-width, lean-to greenhouse at basement; regularly fenestrated above. Coped wall adjoined to outer right.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated piended wing projecting to left with lean-to greenhouse adjoined to outer left. Lower piended wing to outer right with ancillary range adjoined to front. Modern external stair set between wings; principal block set behind.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay principal block to right with single windows at ground and 1st floors to right; single windows at all floors to left; porch recessed to outer right with pointed windows at both floors. Lower, 2-bay wing adjoined to left with bipartite windows at both floors to right; single windows at both floors to left; crenellated parapet. Lower ancillary range adjoined to outer left.

Plate glass and original 12-pane horizontal glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs; projecting cannons/water spouts (?) set in crenellated parapet. Prominent sandstone stacks to principal block with 8 linked flues; projecting wallhead stack to S; octagonal cans throughout.

INTERIOR: converted for use as hotel. Stained glazing to timber panelled vestibule door; decorative inlay to vestibule floor. Carved timber Jacobean style fire surround (re-sited). Remainder not seen 1999.

ANCILLARY RANGE: former stables, hayloft and offices. 2-storey, 8-bay, rectangular-plan range enclosing courtyard to N. Heavily-pointed rubble to front; harled at rear (exposed rubble in part). S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: modern glazing in depressed-arch former cart opening at ground to outer right; various boarded timber doors and windows in remaining bays at ground to left; 3 boarded openings at 1st floor off-set to left. N (REAR) ELEVATION: boarded opening centred at ground; small windows at 1st floor (blocked in part). E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with part-glazed timber door at ground to left; single window centred in apex. Some timber sash and case windows; rooflights. Grey slate roof. INTERIOR: used as office in part; remainder not seen 1999.

COURTYARD WALL: coped rubble wall linking ancillary range and dovecot, enclosing service courtyard to E.

BOUNDARY WALLS, QUADRANT WALLS, PIERS AND GATEPIERS: rubble-coped rubble walls partially enclosing site. Quadrant walls flanking entrance comprising coursed render to outer walls; coped rubble inner walls (coat-of-arms inset to W); square-plan, ball-finialled piers set between; ball-finialled, brick-built piers to outer left and right. Circular-plan, cream sandstone ashlar gatepiers with carved motifs on horizontal bands (fleur-de-lys motifs to left; lions to right); shallow conical caps; 2-leaf modern timber gates.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group comprises 'Press Castle', 'Press Castle, Dovecot', 'Press Castle, Gate Lodge' and 'Press Castle, Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a large mansion house with substantial offices and ornamental grounds attached." An unusually-detailed house now in use as a hotel (1999). A photograph dated 1897 shows the front of the house prior to the creation of the canted windows and the subsequent insertion of the narrow windows to the left (NMRS). The photograph also indicates that the principal block has been widened with the addition of the canted windows - the porch originally being set in the centre of the front elevation and now apparently off-set to the left. A sketch published in Thomson shows the original, symmetrical house prior to the erection of the full-height rear wing (p264). Rutherfurd's notes a Mr Thomas Drybrough Esq as owner and resident here in 1866.

References

Bibliography

Armstrong's map, 1771 (site marked 'Press Inn'). Blackadder's map, 1797 (site marked 'West Press'). Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (site marked 'West Press'). Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856-1858) Reel 61, Book 10, NMRS. Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident). RUTHERFURD'S SOUTHERN COUNTIES' REGISTER AND DIRECTORY (1866, reprinted 1990) p683. A Thomson COLDINGHAM: PARISH AND PRIORY (1908) pp263-266. NMRS photographic records.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRESS CASTLE INCLUDING ANCILLARY RANGE, COURTYARD WALL, BOUNDARY WALLS, QUADRANT WALLS, PIERS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/09/2021 03:01