Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ST. SALVATOR'S CHAPEL, TOWER AND HEBDOMADAR'S BUILDING.LB40771

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
28/04/1959
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50997 16844
Coordinates
350997, 716844

Description

Founded 1450. 7-bay aisleless with 3-sided apse (windows to S

only, N wall blind), 116' tower and 16th cent. stone spire;

ashlar built; gate 16th cent., re-erected from original

materials; interior had pointed barrel vault demolished 1773,

James Craig, architect; Sacrament House; monuments Bishop

Kennedy +1465, rich vaulted semi-octagonal niche, much

damaged; another segmental headed recess; Hew Spens +1534

slab with raised relief; John Home +1754 raised marble slab.

Pulpit late 16th cent. from Town Kirk. Restorations and

additions: tower parapet Robert Matheson 1851; buttress

pinnacles and tracery 1861-3 also Matheson; further repairs

Matheson tracery partly replaced; refurnishing by Reginald

Fairlie from 1931. West Building: 15th cent., 3-storey,

4-window with lower wing to court; panelled Hebdomadar's

Room; cloister with semi-elliptical arches 1849, William

Nixon, architect.

References

Bibliography

Cant, St. Salvator's College and St. Salvator's Chapel.

Ecc Arch v.III p.199. (il & plan).

Walker Pre Ref Chs (plan elev, etc.).

Billings v.I, 16, 17 (pre-restoration).

OSA v.XIII p.192 et seq.

NSA v.IX p.492 et seq.

PSAS v.XII p.220, LIV p.416, LXII p.202-3, 215.

Nuttgens, Fairlie p.33.

Kirk, St. Andrews (il).

Old St. Andrews p.25.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST. SALVATOR'S CHAPEL, TOWER AND HEBDOMADAR'S BUILDING.

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/11/2022 19:31