Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

INVERTROSSACHS HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN SHELTER AND SMALL ENCLOSED GARDEN, TENNIS PAVILION AND KENNELSLB4061

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Callander
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 56198 5064
Coordinates
256198, 705064

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Large rectangular-plan 2-storey and attic shooting/hunting lodge built in 1912 by W. L. Carruthers for Sir Charles Watson. The principal SW elevation is asymmetrically arranged, architectural plans seem to indicate that this elevation was originally similar to that of the SE and NE elevations, being near-symmetrical, restrained and rather austere. The swept attic to the ground floor and the entrance tower (tacked onto the original porch) were added in the mid/later 20th century which softened the principal elevation. The house replaced a mid 19th century large lodge in the 'Highland Style' which Queen Victoria visited in 1869. A tree planted by Victoria reputedly still remains in the garden. The house sits on an elevated site, the land to the NE falls away giving a panoramic view of Loch Venachar. A landmark building (Invertrossachs House is clearly visible across the shore of the Loch along the A821 Road to Brig O' Turk), with strong local historical associations, and with an interesting collection of surviving ancillary buildings.

The main doorway to the principal SW elevation is located in the re-entrant ogee roofed tower, open at ground floor 2 tapered columns carry the later 1st floor addition with emblazoned balconette to the window. The principal elevation is characterised by the cottagey feel of the roof being swept to the centre of the ground floor and rising up to the left creating the appearance of a piended section informally balancing that to the right. The wall extending out divides the main house from the former service block, a large bell faces into the main drive. To the rear of the wall is the former service yard, a semi-circular game larder is built against the wall. The SW elevation of the setback former service wing remains unaltered from the original design scheme. The NW elevation of the service block surprises with a canted oriel window at 1st floor set against a 2-storey tower with an ogee capped roof. These later additions were probably added at the same time as those to the SW. The SE elevation is perfectly balanced with 2 piended slightly advanced outer bays. A French door is set to the centre giving access to a raised rubble terrace with a central pond. Steps give access to a walkway leading to the Garden Shelter built into the descending ground.

The NE elevation is formal and near symmetrical giving it a massive and stark appearance. A 1920/30s exposed brick and render single storey sun lounge with attractive scalloped glazing set within large round arched windows is set to the left against the slightly advanced outerbay. A large rubble terrace runs to the entire elevation giving views across Loch Venachar, immediately below this sits a former tennis court with a picturesque dilapidated tennis pavilion, (2005).

Interior

Parquet flooring and simple cornices throughout the ground floor. Large hall running the entire length of the house from W to E with applied panelled mouldings to wall and vitruvian scroll detailing to dado. Limed oak dogleg stair with 1st floor gallery lit by rectangular geometric design cupola. Former library with built-in oak cupboards to dado height and large salvaged Tudor arched chimneypiece with strapwork detailing, possibly 17th century. Other rooms to the ground floor retain well-detailed chimneypieces which appear to be 19th century. As with the hall, a number of the principal ground floor rooms have panelled mouldings arranged to the walls. The service block has been converted into a number of holiday apartments. The 1st floor and attic were not viewed at the time of the survey, (2005) however the owner informed that they were plain and had been altered and modernised.

Materials

Timber doorpiece incorporating side lights framing timber door with 4 panels to lower section and 9-pane upper glazed section. Timber multi-paned sash and case windows. White painted render to walls. Various styles of gabled and piended timber dormer windows, some with casement openings, others sash and case. Overhanging eaves with piended grey slate roofs, lead ball finials to ogee roofs. Numerous corniced ridge and wallhead rendered stacks with clay circular tapered cans.

Shelter and small enclosed garden

Located to the descending ground to the SE of the house. The structure was built to allow sheltered accommodation overlooking the adjoining small enclosed garden and wider views across the valley. Rectangular in plan it is built from thin rubble slabs with a swept grey slate roof. The NW elevation built into sloping ground has a pair of narrow horizontal windows set close to the ground, a swept timber boarded gablet is set to the roof with a diamond-shaped panel giving access to the roof space. The 2 side elevations possess single windows. The SW elevation is open supported on a pair of piers, a swept gablet designed as a dovecote with five flight holes is centred to the roof. A rubble retaining wall flanks the pavilion. The small garden is built into the slope, the rubble retaining wall to the NW has a flight of steps to its N side. The wall steps down to the SW and NE, the end wall to the SE is curved with an opening to its centre giving access to a short flight of steps. The garden is currently unplanted, (2005).

Tennis Pavilion

Picturesquely designed with some interesting features the pavilion is located to the NE of the house. It is in a state of dilapidation with the rear part of its roof covered with a tarpaulin, (2005). Polygonal in plan, a veranda is orientated to the SW overlooking the former tennis court, it is supported by 2 Doric columns. The central door to the veranda gives access to the interior, an interesting large brick open chimney hearth dominates, the walls are unplastererd red brick with exposed rafters to the ceiling. The proportions of the hearth are continued with a massive stack located to the rear. Rendered brick. Timber multi-paned windows and doors, some missing, (2005). The former tennis court is currently overgrown, (2005).

Kennels

Located to the SE of the house setback from the main drive. Single storey and attic former kennels, rectangular plan with rear square-plan outshot. 2 open railed runs to the principal S elevation with small accommodation quarters to the rear set below a hipped roof. A piended outshot is located to the rear housing a belfast sink and small fireplace, it was possibly used as a bothy. Render to walls, sandstone stack with single can. It is suggested that these kennels were built as quarantine accommodation due to their small scale and the fact that there was a larger kennels block formerly located nearby.

Statement of Special Interest

Other buildings survive to the estate. These predate the house being associated with the 19th century former shooting lodge, they currently remain unlisted as they have undergone alterations and extensions, 2004. It is interesting to note that the house is built on the site of an 18th century farm known as Drunkie Farm. The house is currently run as country house hotel also offering self catering apartments, (2005).

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Architectural plans PTD 120/1-120/15; 1st edition (Perthshire) Ordnance Survey Map (1862-1863); Gifford, J. Stirling and Central Scotland (2002), p. 556; further information by courtesy of the owner, 2004.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERTROSSACHS HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN SHELTER AND SMALL ENCLOSED GARDEN, TENNIS PAVILION AND KENNELS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2022 17:43