Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HIGH STREET AND BACK ROW, MUNGO PARK (MONUMENT)LB40573

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/03/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
10/07/2019
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Selkirk
NGR
NT 47159 28628
Coordinates
347159, 628628

Description

Andrew Currie (designer and carver), 1859; Thomas Clapperton, bas reliefs, 1905; bronze statues, 1913. Ashlar monument surmounted by statue of Mungo Park. Base course; square-plan coped pedestal with rectangular panels with cast-iron bas reliefs to SE and NW elevations (of Mungo Park?s travels) 2 other elevations with carved inscriptions (see Notes), bronze statues to each corner (of pedestal), representing Peace, War, Slavery and Home in the Niger; battered course (with carved lion-head to each corner) to panelled converging section. Pedestrian statue of Park facing N.

Statement of Special Interest

Mungo Park (1721-1805) was born at Foulshiels in Yarrow, about 4 miles from Selkirk. Trained as a surgeon in Edinburgh, he went to West Africa to explore in 1795. In 1799 he married Ailie Anderson, daughter of Thomas Anderson (see listing of council building, High Street) and practised in Peebles. In 1805 he and a group of men went back to Africa, to Gambia to travel down the Niger. They died during conflict with the local people in Boussa. The monument commemorates the men who were with him and also Mungo?s son, Thomas Park, who died in Aquambo, West Africa in 1827, "while endeavouring to obtain trace of his distinguished father". The Clapperton bas reliefs were added on the centenary year and further subscriptions were taken to commission Clapperton to produce the figures, in 1912.

References

Bibliography

C A Strang BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994), p207. B Holton THE RING O THE TOUN - A WALK AROUND SELKIRK, p6.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET AND BACK ROW, MUNGO PARK (MONUMENT)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2024 22:40