There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority
- Argyll And Bute
- NS 8849 64526
- 208849, 664526
Later 17th century (skew dated 1681); refurbished late 20th century. Rectangular-plan 3-storey with attic, 6-bay former town house with full-height projecting crowstepped stair tower off-set to left of centre; 2-storey, 2-bay pitched addition to outer right (Nos 57 and 59). Whitewashed harl; polished yellow sandstone dressings. Raised string course; moulded lintel course beneath eaves; crowstepped gables. Chamfered surrounds to openings; tabbed detailing to Nos 57 and 59. Piended single storey, 2-bay rectangular-plan random rubble outbuilding at rear; tooled long and short yellow rubble sandstone dressings.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION NO 55: projecting stair tower off-set to left of centre comprising single windows at ground and 1st floors, attic window off-set to right of centre; boarded timber door at ground in re-entrant angle facing N, armorial panel above, single attic window beneath eaves; single window in re-entrant angle facing S at 1st floor. Small square opening at ground in bay to outer left; single window at 1st floor in bay to right. Bipartite window at 1st floor off-set to right of stair tower comprising smaller window to right; regularly fenestrated in at all floors in remaining bays. NOS 57 AND 59: 2-leaf boarded timber (carriage) door set in segmental-arched surround at ground in bay to outer left; single window off-set to right at 1st floor; boarded timber opening at 1st floor in bay to outer right.
Predominantly 8- and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate bell-cast roof; crowstepped skews (dated 1681). Corniced apex stacks to N and S; coped and corniced apex stack to W; various circular cans.
INTERIOR: converted for office use. 18th century panelling; plain plaster cornice-work; ornately carved Welsh overmantle in upper office comprising stylised figures, foliate detailing, foliate frieze.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION REAR OUTBUILDING: boarded timber door at ground off-set to left of centre; single window (originally a door) off-set to right. Graded grey slate piend.
Statement of Special Interest
B Group with Nos 51, 53, 61 and 67 High Street (No 65 at rear). An interesting example of 17th century burgh architecture. Originally the Marquess of Bute?s town house and at one time, a Custom's House (shown on Wood's map, 1825). Recorded in 1971 as having elevations of "random stone."
Rothesay is one of Scotland's premier seaside resorts, developed primarily during the second half of the 19th and early 20th centuries, and incorporates an earlier medieval settlement. The town retains a wide range of buildings characteristic of its development as a high status 19th century holiday resort, including a range of fine villas, a Victorian pier and promenade.
The history and development of Rothesay is defined by two major phases. The development of the medieval town, centred on Rothesay Castle, and the later 19th and early 20th century development of the town as a seaside resort. Buildings from this later development, reflect the wealth of the town during its heyday as a tourist destination, and include a range of domestic and commercial architecture of a scale sometimes found in larger burghs. Both the 19th and early 20th century growth of the town, with a particular flourish during the inter-war period, included areas of reclaimed foreshore, particularly along the coast to the east of the town and around the pier and pleasure gardens.
(List description revised as part of Rothesay listing review 2010-11).
Appears on Wood's map, 1825; Ordnance Survey map, 1863; D Macgibbon & T Ross CASTELLATED & DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (reprint 1971) vol 5 p53; B Edwards SCOTTISH SEASIDE TOWNS (1986) p124; F Walker & F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p147.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 55, 57 AND 59 HIGH STREET BUTE ESTATE OFFICE INCLUDING OUTBUILDING
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 17/11/2018 22:13