Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HIGH STREET/SEAFIELD SQUARE, ROTHES PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)LB40440

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/01/1971
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Burgh
Rothes
NGR
NJ 27786 49170
Coordinates
327786, 849170

Description

1780-1. T-plan random rubble church with tooled granite

ashlar dressings and margins. Additions and alterations,

vestry, 1812; heightening, 1868: clock towr, A and W Reid,

1870: internal renovations, 1887.

Long symmetrical N elevation with 4 round-headed windows;

round-headed entrance in E gable and in base of tower at W;

further door now a window in centre of rear bowed wing.

Square tooled ashlar 4-stage clock tower with stages

delineated by moulded string-courses, 3rd stage with clasped

pilasters and tall louvred openings with shallow stage above

with clock faces breaking wallhead under semi-circular

cornice; pyramidal spire with banded decorative fishscale

slating and cast-iron weathervane.

Small projecting rear single storey vestry with canted gable. Lattice-pane glazing; slate roofs, piended on rear bowed

wing.

INTERIOR: renovated 1887 retaining traditional layout grouped

around central pulpit fronting organ (1894) in centre of N

wall; panelled front to 5-sided gallery with cusped

detailing.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Building said to incorporate some materials from former

parish church which stood in present burial ground. Church

building financed by Earl of Findlater. Clock originally

on Nairn Town Hall, repaired and gifted to church by Nairn

jeweller, Mr Charles Spark, formerly of Rothes.

Harling removed in 1954 and walls re-pointed.

References

Bibliography

FORRES GAZETTE, 18 May 1870. MORAY AND NAIRN ENSIGN, 30

April, 11 June, 24 December 1887. NORTHERN SCOT, 17 January

1925. ELGIN COURANT, 17 April, 1931. J R Gray, ROTHES PAST

PRESENT (1954), pp. 25-31. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton,

CHURCHES OF MORAY (1981), p. 44.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET/SEAFIELD SQUARE, ROTHES PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 12/08/2022 04:12