Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

THE CROSS, RENFREW TOWN HALLLB40430

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/10/1994
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Renfrew
NGR
NS 50756 67672
Coordinates
250756, 667672

Description

1871-3, James Jamieson Lamb and Baillie James Barr Lamb, Paisley, rebuilt after fire in 1877, supervised by Loudon, Clerk of Works, Blythswood Estate. 2-storey, with tall 6-stage tower, French Gothic. Snecked cream sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Concealed roof.

EAST ELEVATION: tower to right, with arched entrance in slightly advanced gabled porch. 12-panel 2-leaf door, timber tympanum with simple 'tracery', arms of Renfrew Burgh in gable head, breaking frieze with double-quatrefoil panels. Tall 2-light lancet window at first with round-arched drip mould. Floriated panel in space between lancet heads. Frieze between first and second floors with quatrefoil panels.

Single round-headed louvred opening at first floor, heavily moulded, with Gothick 'tracery'. Blind arcade frieze between second and

third floors. Clock face at third floor with hoodmould linked to small

corbelled bartizans at corners, with linking corbelled parapet pierced

by trefoil openings. Bartizans have blind quatrefoils near base, moulded band, long blind oval, and vertically grooved deep eaves band, moulded cornice and candle-snuffer roofs with thistle finials. Timber spire above parapet with gabled lucarnes, broached to octagonal

gableted lantern with tall fish-scale leaded roof. Ship weathervane. To left of tower 3-bay 2-storey range with central paired lancet-headed doorways. Floriated panel between lancet heads and quatrefoil in outer spandrels. Flanking 2-light windows similarly located, with panelled aprons. Quoin strips divide and end bays, with cornice at 'lintel', level. Modillioned cornice above plain frieze with central arcaded balcony below central first floor window. All 3 first floor windows two light lancets with floriated panels. Modillioned cornice,

parapet with quatrefoil openings. Concealed roof.

NORTH ELEVATION: tower to left, with 2-light lancet at ground, located as first floor lancets on east elevation. Date panel 1871 above. Rest of tower as on east elevation. 2-storey, 8-bay range to right has window and door and 5 windows and door at ground. Windows single lancets, doors on left has hoodmould, on right deeply moulded.

Plain frieze, modillioned cornice, first floor cill band. At first floor 6 plain lancets in centre with flanking 2-light windows as in first floor of tower. Modillioned cornice and parapet as on east elevation.

WEST ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3 bay, central double lancet doorway at ground, flanked by single blind lancets. Frieze, cornice and cill

course as on north. 3 plain lancets at first, cornice and parapet as on north, central wallhead chimneystack. Top 2-stages of tower show above 2-storey range.

SOUTH ELEVATION: to left 6 bays with later single-storey block in re-entrant formed by two projecting bays. On left single lancet at ground with timber Y tracery, cornice and frieze details as north and west elevations, plain double lancet at first. Centre 6 bays have paired windows at ground within chamfered surround (2 on right cut by single storey block), and plain single lancets at first. 2-bays on right advanced in steps both treated as on east elevation, but with hoodmoulds over ground floor windows. Tower visible from third stage up, detail as on east elevation.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

One of a group of mid-Victorian town halls in central Scotland with similar architectural treatment, including Dunfermline, Lockerbie, Annan and Hawick. Gilbert Scott's Glasgow University was planned to have a timber steeple in a similar manner to this one.

Lamb died on 28 September 1872 when the building was under construction.

References

Bibliography

Frank A Walker, THE SOUTH CLYDE ESTUARY p95. Semple's SCRAPS, vol 7.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to THE CROSS, RENFREW TOWN HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 19:40