Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

INVERSNAID, THE GARRISONLB4040

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/09/1973
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Buchanan
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 34860 9629
Coordinates
234860, 709629

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Located on a hill above the Inversnaid to Stronachlachar road, The Garrison is the rubble-wall remains of a barrack built in 1718-19, under the direction of James Smith and later Andrew Jelfe, both surveyors and architects for the Board of Ordnance. It formed a cornerstone of the Government's plan for restraining Jacobite sympathisers following the rebellion of 1715. Part of the remains have been adapted to serve as a roofless sheep-fank; the other remains have been incorporated into the fabric of a 19th century barn. The Garrison evidences the area's links to the Jacobite uprising and to the Government's methods of controlling the Highlands in the 18th century.

The Barracks as originally built were comprised of a near square enclosure, the N and S sides of which formed by rectangular barrack blocks. The N barrack block survives in a much reduced form and has been added to in the 19th and 20th century to form a sheep fank. Its N, W and E rubble walls remain at ground floor level, as do dividing walls projecting to the S, and in the NE compartment, masonry springers, evidence of a barrel vaulted roof. The S wall has been replaced by a later wall which runs just to the S of the line of the original. Later rubble enclosures have also been added to the N side of the original N wall.

The S barrack block has been extensively rebuilt, probably in the 19th century, to form a barn which follows the same footprint, and which contains the lower portions and footings of the exterior walls of the original barrck block. The barn is of painted rubble with dressed quoins, with a piended corrugated metal roof.

Adjoining the large barn to the NE is a small square-plan building, of 19th century character with rubble walls with dressed quoins and corrugated metal roof, which may also contain 1718-19 fabric in its W wall.

Statement of Special Interest

The location of the Inversnaid Garrison was highly strategic, overlooking as it did two fords where the road from Inversnaid harbour joined the Dumbarton road. This connection formed part of the important route that ran from Dumbarton, via Loch Lomond, Loch Katrine and Loch Tay, to join with the main road between Dunkeld and Inverness. The placing of a fort at Inversnaid may have also been influenced by a desire to curb the activities of local outlaw Rob Roy MacGregor.

The garrison at Inversnaid was reputed to have been largely destroyed during the 1745 rebellion, and although plans were made for new buildings at this time, it appears to have been rebuilt to its orginal 1718-19 design. Although the garrison was maintained and used for military purposes up to the late 18th century, by the 1820s the buildings were becoming dilapidated, and were being used as an inn. Around this time, the Governemnt handed over the land and buildings to the Duke of Montrose, who had owned the land originally. Subsequently, the present farm steading was established on the site.

In the garden of the nearby Inversnaid School is a 19th century memorial (see separate listing) to the soldiers stationed at the Garrison.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition OS map, 1858-63. RCAHMS, 'Stirlingshire An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments', Vol II, (1963), 273-275, pl.117-119. Gifford, J and Walker, F A, 'Stirling and Central Scotland', (2002), 541.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERSNAID, THE GARRISON

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/11/2019 09:06