Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

51 ATHOLL ROAD INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDINGLB39851

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/06/1981
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Pitlochry
NGR
NN 94003 58084
Coordinates
294003, 758084

Description

J Murray Robertson of Dundee, dated 1895. 2-storey and basement (raised to sides and rear), 5-bay, rectangular-plan Institute converted to office premises, with ogee-capped corner towers. Squared and coursed rubble with droved ashlar dressings. Band courses. Segmental-headed door with voussoirs. Chamfered arrises and stone mullions.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with steps up to panelled timber door with flanking narrow lights and depressed arch fanlight (all glazed), carved panel above with monogram 'RBW' and dated '1895', single window to 1st floor; each floor of flanking bays with tripartite window to right and single window to left of centre, round towers to outer bays each with 2 windows to each floor.

SE ELEVATION: 4 windows to ground, and 2 further windows grouped toward centre at 1st floor; dominant wallhead stacks to flanking centre; round tower to outer right see above.

NW ELEVATION: blank raised basement with window to centre bay at ground, small opening immediately to right and bipartite window to outer right; windows to centre and outer right bays at 1st floor.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with variety of elements including door with plate glass fanlight in bay to left of centre at basement.

Largely 10-pane glazing pattern, with plate glass glazing to ground NE, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped and shouldered ashlar wallhead stacks.

INTERIOR: timber dog-leg staircase with carved finials; plain cornices.

ANCILLARY BUILDING: single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed ancillary (former hall) with small round, conical-capped ridge ventilator linked to Institute by lower piend-roofed bay. 3 timber sash and case windows to SE and 2 to SW, all with 4-pane glazing pattern.

Statement of Special Interest

The Institute was a gift to the people of Pitlochry from Mrs Barbour of Bonskeid in memory of Rev Robert Barbour of Bonskeid, Free Church minister. The almost square-plan building was described in a newspaper article of 1894 (Huie) with "frontage of 55 feet, and ... 50 feet in width. In the basement comfortable quarters are provided for a caretaker. On entering the Institute by the main doorway, the visitor finds himself in a hall, on either side of which are refreshment room, with service pantry adjoining; ladies' room, caretaker's office, kitchen and scullery, cloak-room, and lavatory accommodation." The first floor had a billiard room, committee room and reading room, and by "removing a partition the Committee-room and reading-room can be converted into a gymnasium", with a "neat and roomy apartment being provided for lovers of the weed". The building was heated by steam and was built at a cost of between £2000 and £3000. The Institute was used as a restaurant and cafe after WWII, and converted to offices in the mid 1960s. Until 1981 the town library was housed in the ancillary building.

References

Bibliography

Compiled by Duncan Huie VICTORIAN PITLOCHRY AND DISTRICT. Colin Liddell PITLOCHRY, HERITAGE OF A HIGHLAND DISTRICT (1993), p104. Information courtesy of local resident.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 51 ATHOLL ROAD INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 14:58