Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GARTCHONZIE BRIDGE OVER EAS GOBHAINLB3984

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/10/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
14/10/2020
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Callander
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 60490 7146
Coordinates
260490, 707146

Description

Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Gartchonzie bridge is a two arch, rubble bridge over the Eas Gobhain, dated 1777, built by Peter McInnes, a mason from Crieff. Built under the instruction of the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates as part of an improvement scheme to the forfeited estate of the Duke of Perth after the 1745 Jacobite uprising. A good example of well preserved later 18th century bridge.

2 segmental arches with vertically set, narrow voussoirs, divided by pointed cutwater with piended head. Rubble abutment and parapet, capped by spaced, vertically set narrow rubble stones. There is some repointing to the abutment. Modern (late 20th century) tarmac road surface.

Materials - Squared rubble voussoirs and cutwaters; random rubble.

The inscription stone on the upstream spandrel reads: "THIS BUILDING ERECTED A.D. 1777 / HIS MAJESTY / GAVE IN AID TO IT OUT OF THE ANNEXED / ESTATES £ 110 STR. / VIATOR / TUTO TRANSEAS / SIS MEMOR / REGII BENEFICII" (Traveler, may you cross safely. Be mindful of the Royal benefaction).

Statement of Special Interest

Gartchonzie Bridge was built as part of the improvements to Gartchonzie Farm ordered in a 1775 report by John Leslie on behalf of the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates. The report proposed the subdivision of the farm lands with new walls and the construction of a new water mill. Also marked on the map that shows the division of the land is a 'proposed bridge', which is this new bridge over Eas Gobhain. A contract, dated October 21st 1777, was drawn up between James Small (factor of the Perth Estate on behalf of the Commissioners for Annexed Estates) and Peter McInnes (a Mason in Crieff) for McInnes to build this bridge and another of similar design over the Garbh Uisge at Kilmahog (see separate listing). The contract states the following: 'Peter McInnes hereby tends and obliges him to build a bridge over the water at Kilmahog consisting of two arches, conform to a plan thereof made by the said Peter McInnes and signed by him of the date of his signing these presents. All the stones in the pillars and landbreasts to be picked cleering?. And all the fore(sic) corner stones of the pillars to be broached work with an elbow so as no seam may be in that corner. And to build said bridge fifteen feet broad between hem and hem, and the ledges thereof three feet high. And to cope them with a pend, and also to build another bridge at Gartchonzie. Gartchonzie of two arches conform to a plan signed by the said Peter McInnes also of this date and to be made in every other respect as the bridge mentioned.'

Description updated 2020 to include information about inscription.

References

Bibliography

J Leslie, PLAN AND REPORT ON THE SUBDIVISION OF GARTCHONZIE FARM 1775 (National Archives of Scotland, ref:E777/313 pp10-11).

FORFEITED ESTATES: PERTH: CORRESPONDENCE FROM NEIGHBOURING HERITORS (National Archives of Scotland, ref: E777/117, Letters from Thomas Buchanan of Spittal, later of Leny and Arthur Buchanan in Gartchonzie concerning the bridges of Gartchonzie and Kilmahog, 1777);

J Gifford & F A Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002), p555.

Information about inscription provided by Stirling Council (2020).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GARTCHONZIE BRIDGE OVER EAS GOBHAIN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 11:03